Floaty Bits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boydo

Reaction score
I removed the Krausen Kollar today, this is my first batch of brew ever so I am a completely new to this. There was a lot of floating bits in the mix and I am worried that this primary fermentation has not happened. There is sediment on the bottom. The temperature daily has been hovering between 14 and 18 degrees Celsius. Murphy's law we get a cold snap as soon as Started this batch. Has the temp been to low ( bearing in mind that the temp in the vessel has hopefully been 2/3 degrees higher than above. How do I know that is has not worked?

So let me get this strait to scooped of the krausen in the primary fermentation vessel. if you did this... dont ever do it again. if not let it be.

Wouldn't worry about the drop in temp, just leave it be. Let it sit for at least a week. then check the gravity if your that concerned.

more info on what and how you brewed plus your equipment would help us help you.

Cheers

ggoodman said:
So let me get this strait to scooped of the krausen in the primary fermentation vessel. if you did this... dont ever do it again. if not let it be.

Wouldn't worry about the drop in temp, just leave it be. Let it sit for at least a week. then check the gravity if your that concerned.

more info on what and how you brewed plus your equipment would help us help you.

Cheers

Thanks ggoodman, right so this was my first brew ever so I am using the Coopers home brew starter kit. So it's a 23Lt plastic fermentation vessel and I am brewing lager, using the Coopers Lager beer kit and their Enhancer 1. I only removed the Krausen Kollar cause the instructions said to. So how long do you recommend I should leave the Kollar in the vessel for future brews?

For lagers you might want to try keeping your fermenter slightly cooler. Depending on your yeast as they vary in optimal range but most usually stay around 7-13*C. Try putting the fermenter in a cool place or use a swamp cooler. It's just a tub with water in it. People will cool it by sticking frozen water bottles in the water around the carboy/bucket and change them out 2-3times a day as needed.

Thanks ggoodman, right so this was my first brew ever so I am using the Coopers home brew starter kit. So it's a 23Lt plastic fermentation vessel and I am brewing lager, using the Coopers Lager beer kit and their Enhancer 1. I only removed the Krausen Kollar cause the instructions said to. So how long do you recommend I should leave the Kollar in the vessel for future brews?

You have the Coopers fermenter I suppose so you were right to remove the collar. The first response to your post assumed you skimmed off the krausen foam which would have been wrong.

Thanks for the advice above guys. While I'm on the subject of Krausen Kollars, I may have just made a big mistake. I accidentally cleaned the Kollar with a scouring cloth. I know you have to clean the equipment with a non scratch cloth but it just slipped my mind and I started to clean it. There visible light scratches around the Kollar now. So can I still use it or should I just throw it out and try find a new one without having to buy a whole new kit.

Latest posts

Back