Need help with water quality report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbright0223

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just wondering if someone could take a look at my local water quality reports and see if they would recommend adding anything to my water. I should note that I am an all grain brewer fairly new with about 8 batches under my belt and am having a hard time trying to understand all the numbers and different minerals in this water. Its hard to believe that I am drinking all of this stuff. I would appreciate any help that is offered. :mug:

http://akronohio.gov/PubUtil/pdf/2011allwatertests.pdf

Well, if you like malty beer, your sulfate to chloride ratio should be good. Your alkalinity may work against you if you are wanting a light colored beer, but should be great for an amber. I didn't see calcium on there, but that's always a good one to know. Some salts could easily adjust the anion ratios, but distiller water additions would be needed to get that alkalinity down for a light beer like a pilsner or cream ale.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

The link is for a very useful calculator for making adjustments.

Thanks for the help Edds. I am mostly making IPAs, IIPAs right now but thinking of making a big porter or stout for the winter time. I am still having trouble even usin that calculator to find out of I should be adding any nutrients or other additives to my water. I know most people say that if the water tastes good then it's good for brewing but I just wanted to see of I noticed a difference by adding anything. Would you make any additions if making IPAs with this water??

They are right when they say that about the water being good to drink. Adjusting water chemistry can help to optimize your brews. If you are using an all grain method, then alkalinity is the key component to watch. Roasted malts lower pH, so you will need the extra alkalinity to counter that. Conversely, light grain bills will not mash as efficiently when the alkalinity is too high. Increasing your sulfate relative to chloride will accentuate hops, while higher chloride in proportion to sulfate will accentuate malt flavors. For the IPA, I would go with the Buton On Trent profile, but the sulfate doesn't really need to be so high, 500 ppm should really be plenty. A Dublin water profile is good for stouts as it is relatively soft but high in alkalinity, which would be good for countering the acidic roasted malts. If you can get the sodium, magnesium, and calcium levels for your water that would help, but isn't necessary. If you are extract brewing, I would just really focus on the Cl to SO4 ratio though.

Back