Ahhh, Back to basics!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, I haven't brewed for almost 5 months. Makes me sad. Between work, school, kiddos, and all the other excuses I could think of I haven't been brewing. Heck, I couldn't even motivate myself to rack my last pale ale of the yeast in the plastic carboy into glass, much less bottle it. We will see if the oxygenation or autolysis monsters bite me.

So back to brewing! I dug out a AHS double chocolate stout kit that is I don't know how old. At least 6-8 months! Hmm, 8 month already crushed grains- didn't think it would do well. This was my first partial mash since going all grain last spring. Like I said- back to basics. Oh, and I used yeast (wlp 013) that I harvested last year. Actually, December 07. I did a starter last month, got lazy, stuck it in the fridge, repeated this about 3 times.

Everything went well, hit my volumes, and, surprisingly, my gravity right on the head. Then I noticed I forgot to add my coco powder. No biggie, just boiled a cup of water and mixed it in, then poured into the carboy.

Seeing as I used ancient ingredients, and was somewhat lax on my sanitation, I can't complain. My OG was perfect, as was my volume, and everything was bubbling away within 12 hours. Smelled great while boiling. Just what I needed. Time to fill the pipeline back up!! :mug:

I picture you standing on the bow of a shrimp boat in a massive storm screaming at the sky "IS THAT ALL YOU'VE GOT BREWING GOD!".

Good to see you're,

saddle.jpg

:mug:

Back