Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vapor2020

Reaction score
I am making a milk stout. How much lactose should I use for a 5 gallon batch? How will this affect my FG compared to my OG?

Most recipes call for lactose to be added at bottling (or kegging) time, and that is what I would reccomend as well. As far as how much for a 5 gal batch, I'd say 1 lb, but others might disagree.

my Christmas Stout uses 1# during the boil...any time.
I'm tasting it now...it's good. Could recommend it to anyone! For a milk stout, you'll need more, but I don't think it matters when.

I have the same question as the OP. Instead of making a new thread, I'll continue this one.

How much does lactose affect SG? I know it is unfermenable. I want to know how much higher I should expect my gravity readings to be compared to a beer without lactose.

The OG for my Chocolate Macadamia Nut Stout with 1lb of lactose added at 10 min left in the boil is 1.066. I'm guessing that amount of lactose will raise SG around 8-10 points?

Adding lactose may change your OG (before you pitch your yeast), but it will not increase the alcohol (via additional fermentables). I believe you will just have a higher FG. I added 1 lb. of lactose to my milk stout right before bottling, that way I didn't have to worry about any changes to what my expected OG was.

Technically it will change OG and FG. It will raise all of your gravity readings by X-points since it is in solution and does not ferment. I was just curious to know by how much.

In the end it doesn't matter since beersmith will make all of the calculations for me.

Just thought I'd post some findings for anyone having a similar problem. I'm just a little dumb.

In beersmith, you can add lactose to your recipe. Its listed as "Milk Sugar" under grains/extracts/sugars. I was looking for Lactose under adjuncts.

The extract number you want to put in your software is 1.043.

In case anyone else might want to know.

So if you add it while bottling, do you boil it in water with the priming sugar?

If this is the case, do you need to cool it off?

So if you add it while bottling, do you boil it in water with the priming sugar?

Did you get ever figure out if it is added with priming sugar?

I would assume it needs to be cooled as well.

I always add mine at flameout. If I were to add it at bottling, I would boil it with the priming sugar.

This is a separate discussion altogether, but I never cool mine. There's nothing wrong with cooling but I think it's unnecessary unless you're pitching some fresh yeast in there too. A few ounces of boiling sugar solution to 5g of ~70F beer won't do much.

Old thread I know but.... my question pertains to this topic. I'm lactose intolerant... but I love stouts and want to make a creamy delicious stout from a recipe that calls for lactose.

Can I just use non-dairy creamer to make up for the lack of actual lactose in the beer? Has anyone actually tried this? I look at a bag of lactose and to me it looks like straight up poison lol.

According to this, non-dairy creamer is largely made of a corn syrup, meaning that a good portion of it will ferment out. Not being familiar with all of the other chemicals in there, I'm not sure that I'd mess with it. Try just mashing high, 155-156F and see if that's good enough for you. If not, maybe add some other unfermentable sweetener?

I used lactose in a recent batch of a Vanilla caramel Pale Ale.

First of all, I need to tell you I am not worried. I heard the hsssst when I popped the top.

I know there is carbonation....but not a lot.

It's only been 2 weeks and I plan on letting it sit for another 2 weeks. I also mixed the sediment back up in the bottles.

I'm posting this because I'm curious about lactose and carbonation. Silly, I know. Does it affect anything other than the body and smoothness of the beer?

I have a sweet stout fermenting. it's 7.9 gallons and the OG after I added lactose was 1.060. what is my real OG? how many gravity points are only from lactose?

Most recipes call for lactose to be added at bottling (or kegging) time, and that is what I would reccomend as well. As far as how much for a 5 gal batch, I'd say 1 lb, but others might disagree.

Really, I've never seen that in recipes, it's usually added in the boil in the last 15 minutes...All the recipes I've ever used or created have it in the boil....Are you sure you're not getting it mixed up with corn sugar?

Hi - I'm brewing a Chocolate Coffee Milk Stout (thinking of just calling it a Mocha Latte :)) and I had some related questions about using Lactose. Based on the above, it doesn't seem to matter when it gets added, so I'm going to do it right before I keg it. Did you just add it in and stir it, or did you dissolve it first?

Also, I was reading radical brewing and they said that brewers will but lactose in blonde ales because blonde ales are less forgiving and this is an easy way to increase body....
1) Has anyone put lactose in something other than a porter or stout? did you use more or less than you would for a porter or stout?

Back