My Honey Beer Kept Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillybilly

Reaction score
I made a honey beer with 4 lbs extract 1 Lbs Rice solids and 1 1/2 lbs saw palmetto honey Nottingham yeast. it fermented steady pop pop pop pop pop pop for eight days and only today slowed down to 6-8 pops a minute I used a swamp cooler with ice to keep in in the mid 60 all my other beers have slowed down within 5-6 days is this slow fermention normal?

I made a honey beer with 4 lbs extract 1 Lbs Rice solids and 1 1/2 lbs saw palmetto honey Nottingham yeast. it fermented steady pop pop pop pop pop pop for eight days and only today slowed down to 6-8 pops a minute I used a swamp cooler with ice to keep in in the mid 60 all my other beers have slowed down within 5-6 days is this slow fermention normal?

What's the current SG? It could be that your barometic pressure changed or something, making the airlock bubble.

Airlock bubbling is well known to be a bad indicator of fermentation, for reasons like Yooper stated. Cold, hard data is your best bet, so take an SG and then wait a few days and take another, and compare. If no change is noted, then your beer is not still fermenting.

In addition to the hydrometer/airlock confusion, honey seems to take much longer than beer to ferment. The meads and braggot I've made all took at least a month to finish; the beers I've made with honey can take up to an extra week to finish, particularly at 60*F. In fact, the only time I've had bottle bombs was the one instance I bottled a gallon of honey beer after only a week and a half.

I don't know what it is about honey; I'd have thought that a simple sugar would just be gobbled up by the yeast, but apparently not.

Back