Alternative Bottle Openers... what do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyD

Reaction score
I generally use my wedding ring... I love the look on peoples' faces when they think I've just grabbed the cap off with my hand haha!

Also, and this is perfect for camping trips, my truck has a built in bottle opener (and I bet many of your vehicles have the same one). In a previous vehicle, I could even use the metal part of the seatbelt.

Here's a vid of me opening a bottle on my truck...

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the wedding ring. I tend to do that at gatherings and people go :confused:

I've used a lighter, another bottle, seat belt, table edge, newspaper (notkidding), doorjam, spoon, wire shelving that's all I can think of right now. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it... Especially if it ends in having a beer!

a true drinker can use anything! A few years ago some buddies and I were stumbling around the streets of Odessa, Ukraine. We bought a bunch of bottled beer from a 7-11 type store and were just going to walk around and booze it up. Someone pulled out a beer and asked if anyone had a bottle opener, everyone said no, and then he cursed. I grabbed his beer and used a wrought iron fence to open it. I was opening beers all night on random objects. Man, I seriously felt like a pro that night!

Pretty much anything that is hard and not round can be used to pry off a bottle cap. I've probably used 100 different types of objects.

A lighter is great, as well as the edge of something... (almost anything) that can grip a few "teeth" of the bottle cap as I smack my wrist with my other hand. There is not a lot that can keep me from my beer. ;);)

The paper is very cool. Have heard of people using eye sockets; also cool.

Wedding ring is the absolute best; has the added benefit of pissing off SWMBO.

Seat belt tongue is great as well.

Great responses, so far PAPER is the best one! That's a neat trick.

I also used to have a belt with an opener in the buckle. "You want a beer? Here let me just undo my pants first..."

Lighter, ring, another bottle, a piece of paper folded up several times....sometimes I even buckle down and use a bottle opener.

It's funny that I'll look around for some oddball object for a minute or two before realizing i have a swiss army knife on my keys with an opener..

Everybody's already said it but a lighter (BIC) for sure. I always get the most impressed looks from people when I use another bottle.

There must be a dozen spots to open beers inside my Jeep...and that's with the top and doors off... and the bumpers work awesome too. (I never drink and drive, I only found out about this camping)

I'll have to try the wedding ring thing...that sounds useful.

I usually carry this Leatherman knife in my pocket. Most Leatherman knives have a carabiner-type clip that doubles as a bottle opener.
eta: I think my favorite part, though, is the 25-year warranty. :D

Recently, when I didn't have that knife, and the friends I was visiting didn't have a bottle opener, one of them showed me how to do it with a spoon.

A key. I do it carefully prying up the individual ridges around the cap until it comes off, the keys always works afterwards.

I have seen teeth done. I was at a dead show and my buddy bought some beer from some guy that was way over priced. He had no opener so my buddy said "for 4 bucks a beer, why don't you open it with your teeth." The guys said no problem and proceeded to do just that.

Unfortunately the guy had no techniques just started grinding away at the cap with different part of his teeth. We could hear the enamel being ground off as he attempted different angles to get the cap off. Just thinking back on it makes me want to visit the dentist.

Two stories:

(1)
I was staying in a hotel with my girlfriend in Groton, CT and forgot to get a bottle opener. I used a towel rack in the bathroom and on the second try I pulled the rack out of the wall. We drove to a Home Depot and bought a gizmo to fix it. Luckily we were able to fix it and we were never charged by the hotel. It was my first beer too, so I can't even say it was a drunken mistake.

(2)
I live in the New York City area and it's easy to get on the Metro-North train system to get into the city. It's an 80 minute ride from where I live. Luckily they allow drinking on the train so I usually will bring a six pack with me and it's a lot of fun. Half of the time I forget the bottle opener. Most of the time I use my keyring to open the bottles. Most of the time I arrive in the city with a ton of cuts and scratches on my hand because it usually takes 2-3 minutes to open the damn bottles. I need to just get a bottle open to put on my keyring.

I used to open them with my teeth, always use the molars you're asking for trouble otherwise!

+1 on the wedding ring. Or a class ring. In strike plate on a door jamb works well. The kitchen counter top, work beach top or anything with a good edge on it.

Bic Lighter if I'm out and about.

A crappy heineken speed opener or one of these if I'm at home

666998-2.jpg

Back