Condensation in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriso77

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question...

I've got quite a bit of condensation at the top of my secondary fermentor (5 gallon carboy). My main concern is that air got in and is messing with my soon to be tasty beverage. Its been in the secondary for a couple days. Other than that, everything seems ok. I've got some floaties at the top of the wort, which I suspect is nothing more than the yeast. Should I be at all concened about the condensation?

I've had this happen several times too and never noticed any ill effects. As to why it occurs I could only guess about that, maybe has to do with the CO2 gassing off or settling back down. I'm still preety new to brewing so someone with more experience is bound to chime in soon. Relax, your beer is probably fine.

agreed, its fine. you should only worry if you see moldy looking growth inside.

Not to worry. Happens to me regularly, as we speak in fact. Condensation in the secondary only means one of two things (or both):

1. The secondary air is humid (no surprise).
2. The air outside the fermenter is cooler than inside.

Latest posts

Back