How to rig a blow off for a bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
How would one go about setting up a blow off for a bucket? The past two beers I did (both in 6 gal carboys) needed to have a blow off installed, so I am a bit concerned about the beer I just put into my bucket last night.... I do not know how to go about setting a blow off if it needs it. Thanks!

If you have a three piece airlock, remove the cap and inner piece then attach a piece of tube to the inner stem. Instant blowoff tube.

I had an emergency one morning. I took apart the 3 part air lock and using just the main body piece with the stem, I found a tube that would fit over the stem that comes up on the inside.

Similar to this set up.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-foam-coming-out-airlock-74920/

Although, I always put my bubbler pitcher below my bucket - less chance of sucking anything back through the tube.

If your bucket lid has a grommet for an airlock, insert a standard three piece airlock into the grommet. Remove the top cap from the airlock, and the floating cap that sits on the center post of the airlock. Get a piece of tubing to slide over the center post of the airlock, and run it into a bucket of water with a little Starsan.

The easy answer is to attach your 3 piece airlock . . . but instead of the floater and cap, simply attach a 3/8" hose to the center piece of the airlock to allow for blowoff.

If you're using a REALLY active yeast, that may not do the trick ... But I, personally, have never had it fail.

4 answers in 1 minute all say the same thing. I think we have a winner answer. I think Jake from Shropshire is the fastest typist.

Thanks for the tips. Only problem is that I don't have a 3 piece airlock, just the s shape airlock. I found a hose fits inside the hole, but its a tad loose and I'd be afraid of contamination. Any other ideas?

Here's how I set it up...1" id,3/4" id tubing coming out of a fitting and into a glass vase filled with sanitized water.

Stout.jpg

Back