I Scored Some Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
I just got home with my truck literally packed with full cases of empty, mostly 750ml green and clear, mostly cork type bottles. I got em for free from an old wine drinker who is moving soon and needs to clear em out. I left almost forty(that's 40) cases there to pick up later. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with all of these yet, but I don't think I'll be running out any time soon!
bottles.jpg

Sweet! I'm collecting them too. My kegging system is working out well though. The Nitrogen cartridges push the wine just fine and there is no carbonation.

nice score Evets, sometimes ya got to be in the right place at the right time.... me i have 2 cousins in the bar and restaraunt business and I managed a few of the local pubs near my home....i also got really lucky when it came to bottles. I recycle and sell them to a few local guys for 1/3 the price to help fund my new found hobby of brewing....just an idea....
anthony

EdWort said:
Sweet! I'm collecting them too. My kegging system is working out well though. The Nitrogen cartridges push the wine just fine and there is no carbonation.

You're kegging wine?! How much pressure do you use? Is it just enough to dispense? Are you using CO2 or nitrogen?

Dang. I need to find a score like that. I'll be needing about 40 bottles here in the near future and I don't really want to buy them.

sudsmonkey said:
Hit a local restaraunt. Tell them why you want the bottles, and they'll save them for you. Might cost you a bottle of wine to the owner,
You know, I think I will give that a shot. I've got nothing to lose. I'm sure they toss them or recycle them anyway.

Wine and beer bottles are easy to find around here if you just have the up-front attitude to go and ask for them. We have what are called MET recycling centers here at old empty lots or backlots of larger businesses. In the last few days I have been going to these places around south Tulsa here and just asking to take some of the bottles. The guys working there just asked a few questions about what I was doing with them and then when they watched me picking through the bottles they realized I was on the "up and up" and doing what I said I was and not going to use them to just break around town. I got 5 big 1 gallon wine jugs, about 60 returnable bottles in green and amber colors, a whole 9 bottle case of some olive green wine bottles, and a really nice cobalt blue wine bottle. That is only in a couple of days of looking and only at one particular center.

I have also noticed a great place to get various bottles from regular returns up to Grolsch and Carboy bottles. Go to your local antique mall where they have multiple vendors in one large space. Most people stick the old glass out just for show but also have good low prices on them too. Got a perfectly good 5 gallon carboy($9) and several perfectly working Grolsch bottles($.90 each) this way as well, again just at one store so far. Also leave the owner/proprietor your name an number and tell them what you are looking for. Most of the people that sell at these places are out shopping for more stuff to sell anyway and the more eyes you have out there looking for you the better you will come out. Plus they like to have buyers waiting to purchase stuff like this, all they have to do is bring it in and collect the cash.

evets

thanks I just aquired all the bottels i need here localy, thanks anyways but i will keep you in mind for the future!

BTW how far are you from state college?

Back