High gravity pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togabear

Reaction score
Do you need to have a starter for a abbey ale with a OG of 1.095? I just used two vials of WLP50 and I think this will be fine, but just wanted to know if any one else has done this. I was aiming for 1.082, but got a little enthusiastic with the grain...I shouldn't had a few Belgians before I brewed mine, but I dont regret it...yet.

It will probably be fine, but even with a double pitch you are underpitching compared to optimal. According to Brew like a monk, many of the abbeys deliberately underpitch to emphasize the esters, but I do not know by how much.

Thanks! thats what I was thought. I read stressed yeast give more esters and fruit flavor. Im gonna age this beer for a long time in the bottle so I really dont care. The wort tasted really good.

Just checked the brew. Its fine and there's a nice foam on the top. Tastes good for fermenting brew and gravity dropped to 1.070. Going a little slow, but that is to be expected. Just posting this for anyone else in the future that has the same question.

Back