How long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I made my first batch of cider using the following recipe:

* 2.5 gallons apple juice
* 1 cup brown sugar
* Champaign yeast

Nothing too elaborate, but it has been sitting in the primary now for about a month and I'm just about to bottle it. I've tasted it over the past few weeks and it seems like it was at it it's best about week ago, now it has a kind of off flavor, sort of a bite to it, kinda hard to describe. Last week it was much smoother, yet a little dry. Anyway, how long is too long in the primary for cider? Could I have left it in the primary too long?

I've ruined cider by leaving it in primary too long (several months). A month in primary is pushing it, but I don't think its too long. After a couple weeks I'd rack it to clearing tank. Or just bottle it and age. The bite will probably mellow in the bottle.

Thanks for the response. I just bottled it yesterday, so we'll see. I did however have one mistake... I poured the priming solution into the primary and stirred, unfortunately that kicked up a lot of the sediment and now that sediment is in the bottle. Oh well, it'll clear with time now and I'll just have to be careful when pouring into the glass.

Back