2 pid's and a ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachineShopBrewing

Reaction score
I am working on a BOM for a slightly modified Kal clone and am wondering if anyone has found or used some kind of temp reading device instead of a PID for the MLT? Kal has three PIDs on his, but the MLT is not controlled, so this is purely to read temp. Has anyone found something just to tell temp that still would look nice mounted in the control panel?

why is the MLT not controlled ? ....that is the most important thing to be controlled (imo)
the Boil kettle is the vessel that you can just install a thermometer in and use a PWM device to adjust the boil.

My system uses a PID for the HLT, a PID for the RIMS tube, and then a manual PWM for the BK ...coulda used a PID for the BK (in manual mode) , but I already had the PWM.

why is the MLT not controlled ? ....that is the most important thing to be controlled (imo)
the Boil kettle is the vessel that you can just install a thermometer in and use a PWM device to adjust the boil.

My system uses a PID for the HLT, a PID for the RIMS tube, and then a manual PWM for the BK ...coulda used a PID for the BK (in manual mode) , but I already had the PWM.

Kal's system which I am copying uses a HERMS coil that is controlled by the HLT PID. His MLT PID does nothing but read the mash temp. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step?page=6

Ahhhhhhh!

Are you tight on space in the controller box?...but want a digital readout?
A 3rd PID is definitely overkill for just measuring temp , but realistically, they're hard to beat for the price.

Maybe a cheapo PID instead of the Auber :)

The $10 digital LED thermo's are not particularly accurate so possibly not the best option for the MLT unless you can calibrate them.

Back