first attempt at label please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebid

Reaction score
redstagale.jpg

I like the graphics. It took me a few seconds to realize that "Red Stag Ale" was written there, and the title sorta blends in, too. Maybe make the text a bit more prevalent? Add a drop shadow or something of that nature to make it pop a bit more.

I like it, nice style.

I agree also with the previous post, the "Red Stag Ale" blends in a little too much with some of the design elements.

Isn't "Mountainman" traditionally spelled "Mountain Man?"

I like the overall graphic--the stag shield pops out well, and it all has a nice old-world aesthetic to it. My thoughts for improvement:

I agree with the other posters, the text blends far too much. I would consider altering the color of the text or surrounding it in a very small field of a contrasting color (in both cases, I'd suggest using the red you used in the shield). I don't think a drop shadow will help here, since it's already black.

Don't know if you have the capability, but the image has a fair amount of aliasing (jaggedy/pixely edges) and would probably benefit quite a bit if those could be smoothed out.

The words "red" and "stag" are rotated a bit too much to be easily readable as part of the name. Generally, 45 degrees or less is preferable.

Could just be me, but I'm not so hot on the background color. Perhaps bump up the blue a little bit to bring it more into the purple range?

i think it looks Awesome, but I see no need for labels...Mine are small stickers (ex: kolsch 12/29/09)...I keep it simple...

I like it- the design work is really nice- but I would change it in the following ways:

Lay "Red" and "Ale" down a little bit (decrease angle from 'floor') and change them to red to provide contrast. i think drop shadowing or glowing or stroke or whatever wouldn't look quite right with this design. Also, now that they are a contrasting color versus the black design work, maybe they could be slightly enlarged and move in a little so that they overlap the black design work a little. If you are using photoshop, maybe use the text warp thing to give a very slight wave or something to 'mountain man'. It seems too perfect. Usually I will bend lettering around very very slightly when I want it to look like it was produced by man rather than machine.

Lastly, I would personally adjust the brown background a little darker with a tiny bit more red in the brown.

Same contrast info for "Stag"... also make it big bigger and allow it to over lap the black design work and nearly touch the base of the shield.

Probably going to go with the same color scheme on Mountain Man (or mountainman) and Brewery. I would also crank up their size, allow them to overlap your other design work a bit too.

Back