Brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elaeace

Reaction score
I have a recipe that I really like...It is a Crystal Amber Ale...Here is my question...If I am happy with the bitterness and aroma of the beer, but would like to add a bit more hoppy flavor...would the solution be to simply add more flavoring hops during the boils?...I hope that isn't a dumb question...all advise is appreciated!

Yes. I would add some more hops with maybe 10-15 minutes left in the boil. What kind of hops are you using in this one?

If you want hoppy with no contribution to bitterness, then you dry hop.

Late hopping will still add some level of bitterness but, the volume of hops may not be perceivable due to lower isomerization and extraction.

Dry hopping will add lots of aroma. From the OP's post, it sounds like he is happy with the aroma. If he is after the flavor I would think he would want boil for at least a little bit of time. This will add bitterness as well, but not significantly, especially if you choose a hop with relatively low AA%. Just my $.02

BryceL said:
Yes. I would add some more hops with maybe 10-15 minutes left in the boil. What kind of hops are you using in this one?

Williamette for flavoring and aroma

Back