Second yeast addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergutbrew

Reaction score
At what point, or if ever do you add a second addition of yeast? I remember reading somewhere that adding a small amount of yeast a week or two after visible signs of fermentation has stopped that adding yeast will kick start the process, leading to higher ABV. Is this right? Anyone have experience doing this?
I am currently fermenting a Sierra Nevada Anniversary IPA, 5 days into it and the airlock has slowed to a stop.

The only time you would need more yeast for a beer like that is if it is "stuck". Have you checked the gravity with a hydrometer? What was your starting gravity?

After pitching, the yeast multiply themselves by several times before starting the fermentation process. By that time I just don't feature a typical re-pitch having much impact on the final gravity of the brew because you're only increasing the overall cell count by 5-10% (unless you're repitching on a whole cake). I've never added yeast after the initial pitching, and I've never checked the gravity before at least 10 days have passed, regardless of what the airlock is doing.

It's perfectly normal for things to slow way down after 5 days. Wait 5-7 more days and then take a gravity reading, that's really the only way to know where you're at. The airlock activity really means little with regard to how far along your fermentation is but 5 days is too soon to worry IMO. Trust your yeast, they almost always come through.

Back