So... I set myself on Fire.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
I kid you not.

We decide to take the kids out trick-or-treating, it's cold so I decided to wear my sniper suit to keep warm and to appear like I'm wearing a costume.... and come on, how often do you see a guy wearing a sniper suit?

So we are walking around and kids and their parents are commenting on my sniper suit telling me how fu*king cool I am and I'm all like, "Yeah, this was a great idea."

So we get to a house that has about 6 steps leading up to the front door, Brooke suggests that I take Layla up since I've just been waling around in the sniper suit that is just oh-so-cool. So we walk up the steps and there is 2 doors, one door is open and a guy and his little son are handing out candy.

The guy comments on my incredibly kick-ass sniper suit and then tells me that his son is slightly scared of me... yeah, give us your candy.... I'm so cool.

So we got our loot and the guy says, "Hey man, next door they have great candy." My wife, over-hearing this shouts, "Hun, let Layla (our 2yo daughter) ring the doorbell..."

So I step back and let her ring the doorbell.

The person answers their door to find a BALL OF FIRE.

Let me tell you something about their porch. They had open candles on top of their pumpkins, yeah a little bass ackwards if you ask me... so in my chivalrous attempt to let my daughter have some enjoyment in ringing a doorbell, I backed into said candles, setting my sniper suit on fire. Being that the suit is comprised of nothing but thread and mesh it immediately went up in flames... A blast of heat immediately melted my eyebrows, eye lashes and a part of my hair.

Quickly thinking I throw/pull the suit over my head and throw it on the landing... the suit, now starting to grow in flames was then smoking pretty bad, the people's smoke alarms were going off at this point... I knew I needed to get the suit off the landing and away from the houses so I kick it through the air, 15ft if I had to guesstimate, landing in the middle of the driveway, there it ignited into a nice 8 to 12 ft high flames where I danced on it and luckily was provided 2 gallons of water to put it out... in my dancing :ban: i managed to melt my socks to my ankles, fun. (And no, I wasn't dancing, I was trying to step on it to put it out, but when the flames got to big I backed off).

I did not burn myself, but I managed to burn off all the hair on my arms, legs, and i swear to God the back of my head. I skinned my knee and not only did I bleed, but I wreak of burnt hair... know what that smells like? GROSS, that's what it smells like. Kids were crying asking what was on fire and what stinks, some mother commented that it was my "cape" that caught on fire...

yeah, I'm wearing a cape like a jackass... just call me Captain Adventure.

So, hope you all had a great Halloween and STAY SAFE!

hope you're all right, sorry about the guille.

post pics! we need to get a good laugh at your expense! (now that we know you're alright!)

B

I know its not a funny experience, but I was ROFL-ing once I realized nothing got hurt other than your pride. :)

Glad you and the kids are safe and that you didn't kick the sniper suit onto someone else's poor little trick or treater! All is good... :)

Now regrow some hair, man!

hope you're all right, sorry about the guille.

post pics! we need to get a good laugh at your expense! (now that we know you're alright!)

B

Sorry fellas, I drug the ruined guille suit to the nearest dumpster and tossed it in.

And in embarrassment I have shaved my arms and legs :(

I know its not a funny experience, but I was ROFL-ing once I realized nothing got hurt other than your pride. :)

Glad you and the kids are safe and that you didn't kick the sniper suit onto someone else's poor little trick or treater! All is good... :)

Now regrow some hair, man!

Indeed, we all had a good hearty laugh afterwards, luckily we didn't know the people personally so I don't have to show my face around there anymore.

until next year.

So your nieghbors going to compinsate you since you were on thier property and were set on fire by thier unprotected open flame? :)

"Honey, There's a ball of fire at the door".That's the best costume ever. Too bad it only works once.;)
I'm glad you're OK!

anyone happen to capture the moment on film? :D

when you mention the kids crying i think of that stupid cell phone commercial where the t-rex busts in on the brownie party....:ban:

Man, I hope those people don't sue you for the scorch marks.
angry7.gif

Glad you're OK. Oh, and the sound you hear is us laughing AT you!:D
We do appreciate other people's "moments."

You're a firefighter, aren't you?

Just checkin'... don't they teach you about fire safety? ;)

Har Har.

I'd hate to admit it, but when we were getting candy from the neighbor I saw the candles and avoided them at first... but my wife wanted our little one to ring the doorbell and in the moment I just wasn't thinking...

it could happen to anyone...

I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Although I can't help but laugh at myself... last night my wife and I lay in bed just laughing like crazy.

Man, I hope those people don't sue you for the scorch marks.
angry7.gif

Glad you're OK. Oh, and the sound you hear is us laughing AT you!:D
We do appreciate other people's "moments."

the flames didn't touch the house or damage any of their property, plus these are all rental townhouses so if anything the management will be knocking on our door...

plus we don't live in the same neighborhood :D

I wanted to go over today to check out the parking lot where the suit really went up in flames... although my wife didn't seem to keen going back and snapping photos.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPT7q825gwI]YouTube - Wax - Southern California (A Film By Spike Jonze)[/ame]

Run, Forest! Run!

well, just to kill my curiosity I took a drive over to the scene of the incident... to my surprise, even tho I had a nice 8 to 10 ft flame there was no charring on the blacktop...

just some stray strands of the threads laying around... nothing to crazy.

the dumpster was empty so I'm assuming it gets cleaned every Saturday morning... so no charred suit to snap photos of...

also, i've received some good hard ribbing from my fellow firemen... and since we live in an area were hunting is somewhat popular, the gentleman have agreed to buy me a new guille suit (even though I only use one for paintball).

bummer man. Atleast this is a great story your grandkids and so an will hear about for ages.

Dude, I laughed my ass off.

Glad you're ok! But you have a good way with words. lol

What is a good Halloween story without a man bursting into flames on someones doorstep? Well done!

wow,

and I almost wrote out a thread about the stupid stuff we dealt with on hallows eve.. couches on fire, hay bales.... just dosen't compare with self incineration.

tipping hat,
Zac

PS. Us wildland firefighters wear nomex at all time. Got my kevlar pants on right now.

Next Halloween I will be placing a fire extinguisher on my porch just in case I get a flammable cape wearing fella that comes a knocking. You may have saved a life. We thank you.

Glad too hear your OK, and no one was hurt.
I'm wiping tears from my eyes, either from laughing too hard, or the thought of loosing a guille, at least you found out that it was highly flammable when you could easily get it off of yourself and to a safe place.
I think I started laughing even harder when it was revealed that your a fire-fighter, and you had to shave your arms. I'm sorry it is sooo wrong but so funny.
Thanks for sharing, some times s... happens.

My first reaction was to wonder how badly traumatized your two-year-old was!

Glad you weren't burned... some angel is collecting overtime on that one!

Now, for next year...

edna-incredibles.jpg

No. Capes.

First and foremost... I'm glad no one was hurt (other than maybe their pride a little) and as long as there are no traumatized kids.... DAMN that's funny stuff.

I'm just picturing how much crap I would be giving one of my buddies if I had watched them do this.

The story-telling was classic too... I like the running "I'm so cool" idea followed by the frantic dancing to put out the ball of fire and ended up with no body hair.

Beautiful.

And yes... burnt hair does NOT smell good... AT ALL. I have vivid memories of a not-so-smart buddy lighting a gas grill several years ago, from the top, as he leaned over the damn thing, trying to light it with a very stubborn lighter.

PHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He wasn't hurt (thank God) but gave himself a pretty good facial "sunburn" for a couple of days and it took him a while to grow the eyebrows back.

I still giggle about.

Wow! I am very glad to hear you were not seriously hurt and that we can laugh about all this.

And, here's the upside: Now, we all know how to take out those pesky snipers!

TL

this story could have turned out much worse. What if a child had backed into the candles what moron has lit candles on their porch when little kids in costume some capes and padding with a very narrow field of vision because of masks are trick or treating?

Glad your alright but I would have a talk with these people just so it doesn't happen again.

Your socks..... melted... to your leg...

I'm so glad you are ok, because I almost peed myself reading that story!

"And the Best Costume in the World Award for 2008 goes to: Giant Ball of Fire!"

this story could have turned out much worse. What if a child had backed into the candles what moron has lit candles on their porch when little kids in costume some capes and padding with a very narrow field of vision because of masks are trick or treating?

Glad your alright but I would have a talk with these people just so it doesn't happen again.

seriously, we got to thinking about it and my wife and I still can't understand how no one else got set on fire...

then again, after I was set ablaze they put out the candles.

Oh god. I laugh every time I see the title of this thread.

When I first read this it played out like a movie in my mind.

Every time this thread gets bumped it plays again in my head.:D

Like a big burning swamp thing.

For some reason about 1/2 the guys at the firehouse didn't hear this story (including the Chief) so I had the pleasure of "sharing" my experience to Chief and the rest of the crew and I have honestly never seen people laugh so hard...

I guess when you hear me tell it in person and my body language it just creates one hell of a picture.

Serious: I know I'm kinda late, but I'm glad you're ok and no one else got hurt.

Good natured ribbing: Holy jeevus, how the he11 did I miss this thread!?!?!? I near fell out of my chair rolling on the floor laughing. I'm still laughing. Like Talley, I'm watching it over and over again in my head. Seriously, that's the stuff that wins Amer. Funniest Home Videos! Hey, Talley, here's a bump for ya!

Back