Cider bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timeforazj

Reaction score
I'm making a cider with store bought apple juice, sugar and yeast. My hydrometer reading was 1075 when I put in the yeast and it is fermenting now. How much sugar should I add after fermentation is done and I begin to bottle? When I make beer I usually put about half a teaspoon in per bottle would this be a good measurement for my cider as well?

I'm making a cider with store bought apple juice, sugar and yeast. My hydrometer reading was 1075 when I put in the yeast and it is fermenting now. How much sugar should I add after fermentation is done and I begin to bottle? When I make beer I usually put about half a teaspoon in per bottle would this be a good measurement for my cider as well?

Per bottle depends on the size of the bottle and how fizzy you like it. If you are using apple juice just throw in more apple juice to bulk prime it.

From what i have been reading and i'm no expert but people had a priming agent weather it be table sugar dextrose brown sugar etc... tell they reach a taste that they enjoy (some like it more sweet some like it more dry) then they bottle while bottling they take a few plastic soda bottles and bottle those as well feel for hardness every day in the plastic bottle once nice and firm they open a bottle if its the desired carbonation they pasteurize the batch on the stove top put in the fridge and enjoy anyone can correct me if i'm wrong but this seems to me like the best way to get desired carb and taste

I like my cider a little more carbed than my beers.

4oz sugar/5 gallons of beer
5-6oz sugar/5 gallons for cider

Everything goes into the bottling bucket to be mixed as a batch, then bottle and cap. Less work than measuring each bottle's dose, and more consistent carbonation.

LeBreton said:
I like my cider a little more carbed than my beers.

4oz sugar/5 gallons of beer
5-6oz sugar/5 gallons for cider

Everything goes into the bottling bucket to be mixed as a batch, then bottle and cap. Less work than measuring each bottle's dose, and more consistent carbonation.

Exactly what I was looking for thanks

Latest posts

Back