90 min boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
What does it do? Increased bitterness and colour, or are there other advantages? My next recipe calls for it and I'm just wondering :)

decreased DMS - i do 90 minute boils on a lot of beers. you don't have to haev increased bitterness -- just put the hops in at 60 min if you want.

A lot of people do it to reduce DMS when there is a large amount of pilsen malt in the grainbill. Apart from that, boiling hops for longer than 60 minutes isn't going to give you much more bitterness. Any hops boiled for longer than 30 minutes will only give you bitterness, so you want to keep your <30min hop additions the same.

Only real thing a 90 min boil does over a 60 min boil is reduce volume and potentially caramelize some of the malt.

Really no reason to do a 90 min boil unless you are doing AG where you may need to reduce volume unless you need to caramelise some of the malt (mostly a colour thing).

On the flip side of this, what would be the difference between a 30 and 60 minute boil? The instructions that come with the kits from my lhbs say boil for 30 minutes, with bittering additions at 30, then flavour and aroma around 15 and later.

You won't get quite as much bitterness, but it can work. 60 is the standard and you'll find that's how most recipes are designed. In an extract recipe it's likely to matter less.

daksin said:
You won't get quite as much bitterness, but it can work. 60 is the standard and you'll find that's how most recipes are designed. In an extract recipe it's likely to matter less.

Yeah, they've all been extract recipes. I've done both, and was wondering if there was a significant difference, other than the bitterness.

Thanks!

60 min boil is standard can play a bit with 90min and hop additions. first addition will add more bitter. I like to play more aroma & taste in latter additions... I've done a fuggle 90 min boil in a porter (only hopping) 90 does get more bitter but only slightly...

60 minutes to completely isomerise the bittering oils.

Flavor/aroma oils boil off after 30 or so minutes. (unless FWH'ing an AG). That's why flavoring hops are useally in the last 30 and aroma are in the last 15ish.

Doesn't matter if it as Extract or AG.

On the flip side of this, what would be the difference between a 30 and 60 minute boil? The instructions that come with the kits from my lhbs say boil for 30 minutes, with bittering additions at 30, then flavour and aroma around 15 and later.

Dumbing this downa tad but, At 30 minutes you will be getting partial isomerization of the bittering oils and a certain amount of flavor form the flavor oils, so they may have a calculated a correct amount of bitterness for that recipe.

Back