My Spent Grain Bread is not turning out right. I need some help Please!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first round of Spent Grain Bread I made and after cooking it is still doughy and sticky in the middle. I did the use a metal kebab skewer to test if it is done. It came out pretty clean but somewhat sticky. This was after an hour and 10 minutes. Below is the recipe and method I used.

Any help from the bakers out there is really appreciated. Our Sourdough starter is about ready to go and I want to make some bread this weekend.

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=11228

Did you knead it fully after mixing up the dough? Did you use a stand mixer to make it?

I've made two batches so far, both came out well (second was better)... I used the recipe posted in the thread on the boards here...

Basically its:
3 cups spent grain (I send mine through the food processor to get the grains smaller, spinning about 4-5 cups to get 3)
1.5 cups reserved wort (from the brew the grains came from)
1 packet dry Baker's yeast (normal active yeast)
3-4 ounces of honey
3-5 cups bread flour (sifted)
1.5 tsp salt
soft butter (3-8 TBS, adjust to your liking)...

I use the wort for the yeast starter (I put the honey in there)... Once the yeast is going at it for a bit (15-30 minutes is usually enough, but YMMV), I spin the grains in the food processor and add them to the mixer bowl... I add the yeast, butter and salt at that point too... Get that all mixed well before you start adding flour. You might use more, or less, flour depending on how much liquid is in the starter, as well as how much butter you use. Once it comes off the dough hook, transfer to a board and knead it until it's "right"... Let it proof once, then form your loaves, letting it rise again before you bake it (until it's increased in size about 50%).

I bake mine at ~375F for 25-35 minutes (had one done at 25, the other at about 30-35 in the last batch). I also use a pizza stone to bake them. I bake one at a time, so that I don't have to worry about uneven cooking, or moving them around too much. I do rotate the loaf 180 degrees, once, while it bakes (at about half way through the time)...

If you used sourdough for the recipe, I have no idea how it would impact the bread. I've never made sourdough before, and probably never will.

In my last (or second) batch, I used double the yeast, and a little larger starter, since I was going to freeze some of the dough. That made for a really good first baking (baked two loaves, saved about 6 smaller dough balls)... I might do that for future batches too, or use more yeast to flour (reducing what's needed to make it work) to get a lighter bread.

Did you knead it fully after mixing up the dough? Did you use a stand mixer to make it?

I've made two batches so far, both came out well (second was better)... I used the recipe posted in the thread on the boards here...

Basically its:
3 cups spent grain (I send mine through the food processor to get the grains smaller, spinning about 4-5 cups to get 3)
1.5 cups reserved wort (from the brew the grains came from)
1 packet dry Baker's yeast (normal active yeast)
3-4 ounces of honey
3-5 cups bread flour (sifted)
1.5 tsp salt
soft butter (3-8 TBS, adjust to your liking)...

I use the wort for the yeast starter (I put the honey in there)... Once the yeast is going at it for a bit (15-30 minutes is usually enough, but YMMV), I spin the grains in the food processor and add them to the mixer bowl... I add the yeast, butter and salt at that point too... Get that all mixed well before you start adding flour. You might use more, or less, flour depending on how much liquid is in the starter, as well as how much butter you use. Once it comes off the dough hook, transfer to a board and knead it until it's "right"... Let it proof once, then form your loaves, letting it rise again before you bake it (until it's increased in size about 50%).

I bake mine at ~375F for 25-35 minutes (had one done at 25, the other at about 30-35 in the last batch). I also use a pizza stone to bake them. I bake one at a time, so that I don't have to worry about uneven cooking, or moving them around too much. I do rotate the loaf 180 degrees, once, while it bakes (at about half way through the time)...

If you used sourdough for the recipe, I have no idea how it would impact the bread. I've never made sourdough before, and probably never will.

In my last (or second) batch, I used double the yeast, and a little larger starter, since I was going to freeze some of the dough. That made for a really good first baking (baked two loaves, saved about 6 smaller dough balls)... I might do that for future batches too, or use more yeast to flour (reducing what's needed to make it work) to get a lighter bread.

I kneaded it by hand

I kneaded it by hand

You can't really test doneness with a skewer for bread. A good way to test bread, believe it or not, is to knock on it.

When it sounds hollow, it's done!

How was your dough? Was it still a bit "wet"? That will make a gooey inside. You want the dough to be smooth and elastic and not the least bit sticky by the time you're done kneading. You may need to use more flour when kneading, until the dough doesn't take more.

You may need to use more flour when kneading, until the dough doesn't take more.

That's what I call "right" for the dough when kneading it... How much flour a recipe actually takes will vary from location to location, person to person, and even influenced by the weather where you are between batches.

zman said:
I kneaded it by hand

Not to split hairs, but that's like someone asking what you drive (for a vehicle) and you telling them it has wheels...

+1 ^

I just baked bread using "sfbayjay" recipe and it calls for about 5 cups of flour. I used about 6.5 cups of flour by the time I got done kneading the dough and the bread turned out great. I have made it three times now and have used different amounts of flour each time....probably because of the moisture content of the spent grain I was using required more flour to produce a non sticky dough.

Don't give up because spent grain bread is deeeeeeelicious:rockin:

Eric

I plan on milling some fresh grain for the next batch I make... That way I have grain with sugar/starch still in it, not mostly depleted... I'll probably do a micro mash with some grain too, to use in the bread... :D

Man, making myself hungry... :rockin:

I have made it three times now and have used different amounts of flour each time....probably because of the moisture content of the spent grain I was using required more flour to produce a non sticky dough.

Measuring flour by volume is also fairly inaccurate, to the point where six cups one day can be the same actual amount as five cups another day, just less compacted.

Back