2 ? about my lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishjoe

Reaction score
:confused:I just put my dark lager in my second ferm. The lager was a dark stout but I used lager yeast (Danish).The beer was in first ferm for 17 days, not by choice. The temp was for the first wk between 55-60. NY started warm up a little so put in refridg with temp between 45-50. When I did the grav. and it 1.012 or so. Trying to get the refridg. to 35 for another month. Two questions:
-will grav. change
-is second ferm temp ok

You didn't state the OG but my guess is that your beer is done fermenting and so the gravity won't change. Yes, 35 is okay for a lagering temperature. 17 days is no problem. Many lager brewers do a "diacetyl rest" at 60 degrees or higher (I just use room temperature) for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks near the end of primary fermentation. Although your primary fermentation is over, I would still recommend it unless you are in a rush. Take your beer to room temperature for a week, rack it to a secondary, put it in your fridge at 35, and forget about it for a few months.

Good luck!

You didn't state the OG but my guess is that your beer is done fermenting and so the gravity won't change. Yes, 35 is okay for a lagering temperature. 17 days is no problem. Many lager brewers do a "diacetyl rest" at 60 degrees or higher (I just use room temperature) for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks near the end of primary fermentation. Although your primary fermentation is over, I would still recommend it unless you are in a rush. Take your beer to room temperature for a week, rack it to a secondary, put it in your fridge at 35, and forget about it for a few months.

Good luck!

Thank you. I did not do an OG. Actually just started doing grav.test.

Back