Should I trust my hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
I started an all-extract hefe three weeks ago today. Pitched a large starter (1/2 gal) from a previously harvested batch of Wyeast German Wheat #3333. Started explosively overnight, and has been fermenting in 65deg ambient temp (I know, the low end of the range) and is at 1.015 which is where I expect it to finish based on my previous 3 batches of the same recipe.

However, when I stole some in my thief to check the SG I noticed a lot of bubbles rising, as if it were still fermenting, though there has been no noticeable airlock activity for about a week and I can't see any activity in the carboy. Do I give it another week and see what happens, or should I go ahead and bottle it?

I was going to use the carboy for a lager I'm planning to start in a couple days but I do have a bucket I can use for that if I have to.

I think that most hydrometers are evil. The only way to trust one is to calibrate it at the temp (60* usually) with distilled water. I have yet to find one at exactly 1.000.

It would be hard to believe that a hefe would be fermenting for > 3 weeks though. Check the hydro across a couple of days, and if it is the same, bottle it up.

Dissolved CO2 from fermentation is 'off-gassing'-check the hydro, but it's probably close.

I say use the water you brew in to check the accuracy. Then any reading different than that in your wort is the sugars.

Ok, thanks guys. I think I will check it again tomorrow and bottle if it's still the same.

Back