Tripel IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarp

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Chimay harvest
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
62 (Rager)
Color
5 (SRM)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 (see notes)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Clearly, a hop farm has exploded inside this Tripel.
Ingredients
-----------
Beet sugar 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
Extra Light DME 1.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Pilsener (Belgian) 2.50 lb, Grain, Mashed
Two-row (Belgian) 2.50 lb, Grain, Mashed

Northern Brewer (7.0AA) 1.00 oz, Whole, 60 minutes
Sterling (7.5AA) 0.50 oz, Whole, 20 minutes
Sterling 0.50 oz, Whole, 10 minutes
Sterling 0.50 oz, Whole, 5 minutes
Sterling 0.50 oz, Whole, 1 minutes
Sterling 1.00 oz, Whole, dry-hop

Notes
-----
60 min mash @ 154. 90 min boil. DME added late to keep color light. 14 day ferment, starting at 67 and allowed to rise as yeast desired. Dry-hopped last 7 days of ferment. 21 day warm bottle condition at 80.

One of, if not the best beer I've ever made. It's definitely a distinctive taste, but there are a couple of commercial versions out there like Green Flashes Le Freak.

When I make it again, I will be upping the IBUs some more and probably layering in another hop with the Sterling.

Pic from my last batch:

beer45.jpg

Where do you get your "beet sugar" from? Or do you just use belgian candi sugar?

So I'm very excited to brew this. I bought all the supplies and substituted sterlings for simcoe. However I just realized this recipe is for 3 gallons and not 5, which makes sense because I was wondering why its so low on fermentables. Can anyone tell me what extra would be needed to make this a 5 gallon batch? This would only be my 6th batch of homebrew and while my learning curve is steep and I could take a few guesses as far was what to do, I want to be sure. Thanks in advanced to any advice given!

So I went ahead and just brewed the 3g batch and put it in a 5g BB. I added about a pound of honey and topped off with extra cold water to make it about 3.5g and an OG of 1.076. However its about 18 hours after pitching (WLY500 no straight from vial) and there is no fermentation activity. However what is more troublesome is that the wort has separated into 3 layers. There is about 5 inches of green cloudy stuff on the bottom, and amber color in the middle, and lighter color on top. Help! What is happening with my beer!

I would also like to add that this is my 6th batch of beer and i have never seen this type of separation or lag in ferment activity.

That would most likely be trub on the bottom, regular wort in the middle, and I would guess the yeast reproducing themselves in the top layer.

Any good hints on this recipe? I am on my 5th AG brew and have a good strain of wlp500 going. I want to brew a few more Belgians to keep the yeast going. But can't keep doing the sweet Belgian beers. I want to do something a little different now. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Any good hints on this recipe? I am on my 5th AG brew and have a good strain of wlp500 going. I want to brew a few more Belgians to keep the yeast going. But can't keep doing the sweet Belgian beers. I want to do something a little different now. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

This is still one of my most brewed recipes. Since I posted this, I've dropped the DME and correspondingly upped the base malts, simply to save $$$ as DME has gotten so expensive. I've also played with a variety of hops; last brew using Chinook for bittering and Cascade for flavor / aroma / dry-hopping. It came out quite well but whatever hops you use, keep the IBUs sane - 60 to 80 - or you'll bury the Belgian character.

Overall, this is a really easy and forgiving brew. If you like the commercial Belgian IPA examples like Le Freak, Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen, or Raging *****, I think you'll really dig this.

This is still one of my most brewed recipes. Since I posted this, I've dropped the DME and correspondingly upped the base malts, simply to save $$$ as DME has gotten so expensive. I've also played with a variety of hops; last brew using Chinook for bittering and Cascade for flavor / aroma / dry-hopping. It came out quite well but whatever hops you use, keep the IBUs sane - 60 to 80 - or you'll bury the Belgian character.

Overall, this is a really easy and forgiving brew. If you like the commercial Belgian IPA examples like Le Freak, Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen, or Raging *****, I think you'll really dig this.

What did your final base malt amounts end up at? I am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch of this, all-grain at 70% efficiency.

Also, I haven't delved into the world of yeast harvesting so what commercially available yeast would you suggest for this batch?

Thanks!:mug:

What did your final base malt amounts end up at? I am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch of this, all-grain at 70% efficiency.

Also, I haven't delved into the world of yeast harvesting so what commercially available yeast would you suggest for this batch?

for a 3.5 gal batch, 70% efficiency...
4lb pils
3.5 lb 2-row
1.5 lb sugar

Definitely want Chimay - WLP500 / Wyeast 1214

Jkarp- what kind of bitterness are you getting from this hop combo? I know these are both "softer" kind of hops, as opposed to a C hop like Cascade or Columbus. If it's anything like La Chouffe then I imagine it's pretty amazing.

The original recipe is just a bit milder than Houblon Chouffe. Dry-hop with Cascade and I'd say it's pretty darn close.

Any Ideas of how to convert this to an extract w/ steeping grains recipe? Also would it be better to use wyeast 1214 or 3787

Thanks

Any Ideas of how to convert this to an extract w/ steeping grains recipe? Also would it be better to use wyeast 1214 or 3787

Just sub the grains for 3lb of pilsner DME. 3787 should be a suitable yeast, though I've never tried it with this recipe.

I'm thinking of doing a six gallon batch of this. I would double the grain, sugar and extracts, but would I double the hop amt?

Back