Well shoot, I can't receive liquid extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Bob

Reaction score
I was all ready to brew my first batches. I ordered about $800 in supplies and extracts from AHS. It was going to come to me via diplomatic mail (I work at a US embassy). Well, much of the shipment was rejected. Turns out the State Department won't allow liquids in excess of 16 ounces to be shipped through diplomatic channels.

This was very disappointing because I was really looking forward to the Stone Arrogant Bastard clone I was going to make.

So I thought I was going to be forced to jump into AG before I was ready, until I learned about DME. Apparently there is no prohibition against sending non-liquid based extracts.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can get pre-mixed clone recipes in DME, at least not from AHS. Any suggestions on where I can get such clone kits? I don't know enough to make my own recipes just yet.

Thanks.

Buy a book of clone recipes, like "Clone Brews". Most of the recipes in "Clone Brews" use DME. If you see a recipe using LME, convert it to DME. The conversion I've seen used is 6 lbs DME for 6.6 lbs LME.

DME may cost a few dollars more, it tends to be a little more pricey (it's also more shelf-stable, and if you end up with a little extra for whatever reason it's easier to keep around).

It's about a 20% difference in the ratio of DME versus LME (due to the water in the LME), although to be honest I can't remember if it's that you need 20% less DME than LME, or 20% more LME than DME. Can't remember if:

1# LME = 0.8# DME
or
1# DME = 1.2# LME.

The math's close enough where if you want to rework a recipe, you can ballpark it anyway.

DME may cost a few dollars more, it tends to be a little more pricey (it's also more shelf-stable, and if you end up with a little extra for whatever reason it's easier to keep around).

It's about a 20% difference in the ratio of DME versus LME (due to the water in the LME), although to be honest I can't remember if it's that you need 20% less DME than LME, or 20% more LME than DME. Can't remember if:

1# LME = 0.8# DME
or
1# DME = 1.2# LME.

The math's close enough where if you want to rework a recipe, you can ballpark it anyway.

That is the Ratio that I have gone by with out fail !

or you can go to a site like beersmith, if I'm not mistaken their program can do these conversions for you

Give us the chance to make up the $50 in UPS charges we lost sending the boxes to your embassy only for them to be returned to us. We also had to throw away most of the ingredients.

Thanks
Forrest

Give us the chance to make up the $50 in UPS charges we lost sending the boxes to your embassy only for them to be returned to us. We also had to throw away most of the ingredients.

Thanks
Forrest

OK, that is pretty cool that you post here. I want to send a HUGE kudos to Austin Home Brew Supply. I ordered a bunch of stuff from them all at the time. I didn't realize at the time that the rules for shipping things via diplomatic pouch had changed. You can't ship liquid, glass, or bulk shipments. My order broke all three of those rules. Fortunately some of the stuff did make it through, but a good number of things were rejected. AHS would have been well within its right to put the blame on me and not offer any refund. After all, the blame WAS on me. But they did refund me for the equipment that was returned to them.

Thank you AHS. You have earned my loyalty. I will continue to buy all my equipment from you (don't worry, any future orders will be compliant with the rules) and if you can formulate DME mixes for me then you will be the one I go to for that as well. There are several people at the embassy who are interested in taking up the hobby as well. I will be sending them your way.

OK, that is pretty cool that you post here. I want to send a HUGE kudos to Austin Home Brew Supply. I ordered a bunch of stuff from them all at the time. I didn't realize at the time that the rules for shipping things via diplomatic pouch had changed. You can't ship liquid, glass, or bulk shipments. My order broke all three of those rules. Fortunately some of the stuff did make it through, but a good number of things were rejected. AHS would have been well within its right to put the blame on me and not offer any refund. After all, the blame WAS on me. But they did refund me for the equipment that was returned to them.

Thank you AHS. You have earned my loyalty. I will continue to buy all my equipment from you (don't worry, any future orders will be compliant with the rules) and if you can formulate DME mixes for me then you will be the one I go to for that as well. There are several people at the embassy who are interested in taking up the hobby as well. I will be sending them your way.

AHS - you just earned me as a customer. That is amazing in these economic times - gonna go place an order right now!

**EDIT** About an hour later, and I did order ( SWMBO might scream - Yeah, I had to get the free shipping :) ). Nice site. Nice layout. LOT of choices.

AHS - you just earned me as a customer. That is amazing in these economic times - gonna go place an order right now!

**EDIT** About an hour later, and I did order ( SWMBO might scream - Yeah, I had to get the free shipping :) ). Nice site. Nice layout. LOT of choices.

Just wanted to add this here - since this thread is what made me decide to give Austin Homebrew a shot - got my package today - and everything looks great! I am super psyched about brewing tomorrow!

You guys ( AHS ) showed me in this thread you do good business, you showed me in the package today you do "clean" business and have good product - Have a feeling I'm gonna be sending as much business your way as I can muster and spread the word about.

To the OP - Did you get any supply yet? Good luck!

To the OP - Did you get any supply yet? Good luck!

I had ordered three clone recipes but they only allowed enough stuff through to do a Stone Pale Ale clone. I brewed it yesterday and all is going well so far. I am trying to decide what I will order next. Probably an Arrogant Bastard clone...DME of course. :)

Back