Need help with imperial peach wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitz9001

Reaction score
I have it set in my head to do an imperial peach wheat. Yes yes i know imperial and wheat do not generally go together but hey i love to experiment. I did a extract brew based on AlphaPyro's Peach wheat recipe.

6 lbs northern brewer wheat LME
2 lbs grocery store brand honey added with LME
1.5 oz czech saaz at 45 mins
.5 us goldings at 15 mins
racked on 3 lbs peach puree after 10 days in primary
racked again after 2 weeks in secondary
sat in tertiary for 10 days with .5 oz of organic orange peel steeped in a tea ball for 5 days

o.g. 1.067
f.g. 1.009

The issue is that it ended up a little bitter(probably cause of the use of the saaz) and lacking body,Very watery.

I really wanted more mouthfeel, something alittle thicker. I'm looking for maybe some kind of steeping grain or/and completely different hops/hop schedule.

Im really just hoping to rely on the experience of brewers of HBT to help me out on this. Any help will be much appreciated.

I've heard people state steeping oats still gets you help with the mouthfeel, and since blue moon uses them we know they work in a wheat.

Disclaimer: I'm by no means experienced and just relaying information I've seen around the intarwebs. :D

I would add some non-fermentable sugars to the recipe. That can be obtained by steeping some crystal (light colored, seeing as you probably don't want a dark beer), some cara-pils, etc. Try putting a couple types of malt in to get more complex flavors. That will help with the mouthfeel.

As far as the hops, you don't have any hops in there with some real bittering horsepower, so your brew won't be that bitter. If you want a more bitter brew with some nice hop character at the end, try 1/2 - 1 ounce of N. Brewer with some flavor and/or aroma hops, maybe 1/2 - 1 ounce each.

thanks for the advice guys! Would be overkill to steep oats, crystal and cara-pils in my next attempt?

Oh and after being bottled for a couple weeks for the I.P.W has drastically inproved! the bitterness has subsided allot and there actually is a pretty substantial body character developing

the 2 lbs of honey is making your beer too thin. Use less, or sub it all out for LME to increase mouthfeel. If you want honey flavor, use honey malt (a little bit). Pure honey only drys out a beer, and doesnt really add any honey flavor.

the honey wasn't intended to be a flavoring agent just strictly to up the abv which is why i added it at the boil, but i hear what your saying about it thinning the beer, maybe i drop down to one lb of honey and use a light pilsner dme

Latest posts

Back