Maximum capacity of a corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
What is the maximum capcity of a corny? I have 22 litres (~6 gallons) of beer that will be ready to keg shortly and I was under the impression that the kegs can hold 5 gallons max, but it seems that there is actually 1.5 gallons of headspace left. So can I keg the whole lot or will I still need to bottle the last few litres? And I will be priming the keg to carb it if that makes a difference.
Cheers

Cornelius type soda kegs hold 5 gallons plus a little head space. Your 6 gallon measurement is suspect.

ok, so I might fill it up a gallon at a time to check. How much headspace is needed to be safe? Say, filled to just under the gas dip tube is ok?
Cheers.

i usually fill mine up to the welding mark. you dont want to be dipping the lid in beer.

So I just finished filling it, 5.15 seems correct to account for the bit that I spilled. That was to the bottom of the gas dip tube.
Yeah I don't know where that 5 + 1.5 gallons head space was from, some thread on here dealing with fermenting in cornies. Maybe they actually had a 1/4 barrel.
Thanks guys!

Back