2 batches of CIDER!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcrusader

Reaction score
Alright.. I have 2 one gallon batches of cider.

The first batch.
1 gallon of apple juice
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 tbls of honey
2 tbls of Maple syrup
packet of coopers ale yeast

Fermentation: very fast, had to put a blow off on it. After 1 week it is still bubbling in the air lock every 8 seconds. still not showing any signs of clearing.

TASTE: I took a few small sips and it was somewhat bitter and tart had a "funky" nose to it and very hard to drink.

Batch #2
1 gallon of apple juice
1 packet of coopers ale yeast

Fermentation: Not as quick as the first batch. after 1 week the air lock bubbles every 22 seconds. Beginning to clear quite nicely... which i didn't expect after 1 week.

TASTE: Tonight I took a half of a glass out of the dj. Chilled and served in my frozen mug. at first i was cautious because of the first batch. but then i took a big swig.... not too strong.. not too dry... apple flavor in tacked..... now I'm beginning to think that my first batch of cider is infected or something... I mean.. this stuff was pretty darn good... I need to give it a few months to age... but after that.. bring it on! I will keep you updated on both batches...

How long should I keep them in primary and secondary..
Also, how much sugar (cane, brown) should i put per 12 oz. bottle.. (remember I'm brewing in 1 gallon batches.. I don't want to put the sugar directly into the bottle, just mix up a syrup based on how many bottles I have.

Thanks,
Ben

ALLLLRIGHT...

Batch 2:
Good flavor and alcohol... bottled on 2/13/08 and it is carbing.

Batch 1:
Still in Primary and the airlock bubbles ever 15 to 20 seconds... bubbles are still visibly coming up from the bottom... there is a weird smell on this batch... and its darker. It is begginning to clear a bit, however, I noticed that the yeast on the bottom of the fermentor is very dark... It use to be white and brown now it is dark brown... I used a light brown sugar.. I dont know why its turning dark brown... DO I HAVE AN INFECTION?? I don't really like the smell of it right now.. Please help
Thanks

No, it sounds like it's probably not infected. Brown sugar, maple syrup, and honey are all fully fermentable, and they just take a while to ferment out. Don't worry about it yet- check it in another month or so, and it might be looking better to you!

Batch number 2 update.
It is slowly carbing... it has been 13 days and it has carb, just not enough yet... I will let it go another week.. It is mellowing... it has good flavor and good alcohol.

Question, In this batch i used straight apple juice, what should I expect for an OG and a FG with coopers ale yeast? or an abv?

Batch number 1 update

Airlock bubbles every 20 to 30 seconds.
When I get my order from morebeer.com I will bottle it! It has cleared nicely as well.

Batch number 1 update!

Bottled... I got a little sip of it... TART!! and DRY!! I didn't backsweeten when I bottled, but everthing is an experiment.. Now I have 2 yeastcakes that need juice!!!

Batch Number 1: update

Opened test bottle.. Too much carb. yeasty tart. needs a long age.

My next adventure will be a gallon each with same weight amounts of cane, brown, and dextrose sugars. All with the same ale yeast. Its quick and comes out of solution nicely. As of right now I prefer my straight juice and yeast no sugar added cider. I am going to backsweeten a bit when I make my next batch. Also, I got some montrachet so I will be making some Apfelwein.
Later!

Back