Splitting 10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I'm interested in brewing up some 10 gallon batches this fall and was wondering what creative ways you have made two separate beers from the same wort?

There's two different yeasts
Fruit
Dry hop

It depends on the style, but putting different adjuncts would be cool. Im currently doing the with an Imperial Porter; one will have vanilla bean and the other will have bourbon/oak. Might throw coffee beans in one for kicks if I feel like it.

I have done this with a friend, we split a batch after basic wort then add fruits, yeast, dryhops etc. as we see fit and the variants we get are an interesting experiment. Sometimes goood and sometimes not so good but the thing we learn most is just because it starts as one thing doesn't mean it has to be only that one thing as small additions make big changes.

Well I've done something somewhat similar. I fermented a 5 gallon batch of russian imperial breakfast stout and split it into 5 1 gallon jugs

Here is a list of the different adjuncts I used

- One is medium toast French oak cubes that had been soaked in Jim Beam white label for ~2 weeks

- Two is cold brewed breakfast roast coffee and a whole vanilla bean

- Three is homemade caramel and cocao nibs

- Four is a blueberry reduction and molasses

- Five is a caffeinated beer, 80 mg (of pure USP grade caffeine) per 12 oz which equates to a little more than a bottle of Jola cola (I will put warning labels on the bottles just in case they fall into the wrong hands)

So far I am really pleased with the whole process. Next time I do a split batch I'll probably do different yeasts.

For a single split I have added different yeast, different adjuncts like honey wild flower vs orangeblossom or different fruits, different steeped grains 1# 40L vs 1# 60 and changed the OG either up or down. But why stop at one split. I now routinely split my split batches. I will take each 5 gal after the primary and split into 3 x 1.5 batches. I don't touch one of the secondary batches for a baseline and then modify the other two carboys by adjunct addition or dry hopping. When I do my experiments with steeped grains or dry hopping I found that I learn the most when I am starting with a base SMASH wort.

I was thinking if doing this with an imperial stout but doesn't the volume affect the amount of time it will spend fermenting?

Just did this, inspired by the last issue of zymurgy. Got a batch split with half on maple, half on Hungarian oak.

Thanks for the ideas everyone - one thing I should have mentioned is that I need to split post chill as I only have one brewpot and one burner.

I brew alot of session beers - english & belgian (some ipas too) so I figured why not get two batches out of one. So if I brewed a bitter than maybe dry hop with different hops in the keg - maybe add honey & dry spice it in the keg.

Have you been successful with any combos from a base beer like a mild or a bitter?

Back