making my dogfish head clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I ended up home today, unexpectedly. I had a starter going of pacman yeast, just in case.

So, it was a brewday! I'm almost boiling now, and that's when I'll get busy doing continuous hops additions. My preboil volume was 7 gallons- I never did get a low s.g, so I finally stopped sparging when I hit 7 gallons. And, my preboil s.g. is 1.054 (temperature corrected). I don't think I'm going to boil off 2 gallons, so I'll probably end up with six gallons.

Things to remember for next time
1. Close the ball valve when you take the MLT out to dump the grains in the compost pile.

2. Wort is very sticky when there are trails of it from your kitchen, through your dining room, back entranceway, and outside. See #1.

3. When you are in the middle of the mash, you will get a call from the school asking you go pick up a sick kid.

4. 7 gallons of wort doesn't fit in a 6.5 gallon bucket.

So, all in all a great brewday. My house smells like heaven!

I found it online somewhere, and posted it on here for critiquing a little while ago. If you want, I can dig it up.

It was fun- the fun I've had during the day in a long time!

Found it. Love that beer, looks good. I know the hop additions on Walker's IPA were kinda inspired by this, the more-or-less continuous additions.

Oh, and at least you weren't in the middle of the boil when the school called; THAT would have tested your true worth as a homebrewer :D

PS- my effiency was 72.1% for 5 gallons- and I had just a bit more after I strained. I did lose more than I anticipated in the boil- and that's a good thing! I only have a 7.5 gallon bucket for primary.

I used Maris Otter malt for the small amount of amber malt called for, and 13 pounds of 2-row. I really like the taste of maris otter- in my next AG, I'm using it for 1/3 of the grain bill.

All in all a fun day.

Lorena

sounds yummy - make sure to let us know how it turns out. I'm going to have to figure out what to do for my 1st AG experience here shortly. Almost have all my stuff!!

This one might be one to consider

Which IPA are you going for? 60, 90, or 120?

Saw 120 bottles going for $8.99 for a 12-oz bottle....jeez, too rich for my blood.

There is a clone of the 90 in the newstand BYO clone brews magazine, I could post it if there's interest. My brew buddy has done both the extract and the AG version and both were excellent.

I'd be interested in that recipe- I don't know if I'd make it right away but it's one of those beers I'd like to try later on. I'm trying to have a stockpile of different beer types around. Right now, I have a pretty good selection but unfortunately, it disappears around here pretty darn fast.

I'm planning a Lil Bastard (a not-clone of AB) next.

papabobdole said:
There is a clone of the 90 in the newstand BYO clone brews magazine, I could post it if there's interest. My brew buddy has done both the extract and the AG version and both were excellent.

Yeah, post that recipe. I'm looking for some ideas for this weekend.

90-Minute IPA clone
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Delaware

5 gallons all-grain

OG = 1.088
FG = 1.021
IBU = 90
SRM = 13
ABV = 8.7%

16.5 lb Pilsner malt
1.66 lb amber malt 35L
16 AAU Amarillo 90-0 2 oz at 8%
8 AAU Simcoe 90-0 .62 oz at 13%
8 AAU Warrior 90-0 .53oz at 15%
1 oz Amarillo dry
.5 oz Simcoe dry
.5 oz Warrior dry
Wyeast 1099

Mash in at 122F, then raise to 149F until conversion is complete. Mash out at 170F. Boil the wort for 105 minutes. Starting with 90 minutes left, begin slowly and evenly adding hops to the kettle at a rate of about .25 oz every 7.5 minutes. Pitch at 71F and let raise to 74F. Dry hop in secondary at 71F for 3-5 days, then cool to 32F.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, we've done this one twice now.

EDIT:

Here are some pics of our last brew day, my buddy Pooba illustrates the 90 minute in style!

http://picasaweb.google.com/nshort/BrewDay

Back