rhizomes storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclane2003

Reaction score
Just got my first Rhizomes. From what I understand I need to wait until the weather gets better before I plant, so Mayish. I put the rhizomes in the fridge. Do I need to do anything or are they fine chilling in the fridge? Should I put a small amount of water in the bag with them?

Thanks

I've been taking a paper towl, damping it, wringing it out, and putting the moist but not dripping folded towel in the corner of the bag.... away from the roots. Don't want to get fungus or mildew going in there. Just want to keep some humidity present...

Would love to hear what others are doing... For example, ziplock seal or allow open ventilation in the fridge?
--LexusChris

Do the damp towel thing as stated above. Keep the bag closed but with air in the bag. Do not worry about placement of the towel as and mold or fungus that forms can just be scraped off with a fingernail before planting.

Just got my first Rhizomes. From what I understand I need to wait until the weather gets better before I plant, so Mayish.

Plant them as soon as the ground is thawed and workable. Not sure who told you to wait, but you need to get them in the ground ASAP. They aren't tomatoes.

Yeah, I would agree with Randar above. I missed that point initially so good catch. A little frost here and there won't hurt them once they are in the ground. I mean, you are storing them in the fridge...

I put mine in pots the same day I got them last year (very early April?) and here in Ohio we get frost and freezing temps until mid May.

While picking wild hops on the front range last Aug, I dug up a root to take home with the 10 lbs of picked hops. Placed the root in a sealed ziplock with around 2oz of water. Stuck it in the fridge and honestly forgot about it until yesterday. To my suprise there's 6 shoots started on it so into a 20" pot full of potting soil and manure it went today. Hoping to get some good growth in a week or so watering lightly every other day.

Once you can work the ground, go ahead and plant. Even if it snows after they sprout, it won't hurt them.

Back