APA Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcnewcp

Reaction score
I need a good grain bill for an APA that I can use to test several different hop bills. I want the malt profile to be simple and fairly restrained. I prefer to stay away from the candy like sweetness of caramel/crystal malts. The beer will be fermented with either WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. Here's what I have in mind, but I'd like your thoughts.

50% US 2-row
30% Vienna Malt
20% Munich malt

Mash at 153

If you REALLY want to test out different hop bills, go for a SMaSH recipe... Use the KISS principle and you'll KNOW what the hops do for it.

If you don't want to do a SMaSH recipe, then I would do ~95% 2 row and the remaining grist percentage as a crystal malt that's 60L or below. IMO, you don't want a lot of the flavors to come from the grist if you're testing hop bills.

looks really good to me. might even just go 50/50 with the munich and vienna imho.

let us know how it turns out and what hops you use!

If you REALLY want to test out different hop bills, go for a SMaSH recipe...

Yea, I've gone the SMaSH route a couple times and it really helps get flavors straight in your head. With this brew, I want to have a whole line of APAs with identical grain bills and fermentation, but featuring a different hop or blend of hops.

looks really good to me. might even just go 50/50 with the munich and vienna imho.

I was planning on going with a 10L Munich, so I wanted to keep the color from getting too dark.

Back