Grrr, this guy needs a grain mill...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
Just took my starting sg on my ipa i am doing today, 8 points under :( I was shooting for 1.058 and I hit 1.048. I mostly blame the HBS for the poor crush (lots of half and whole pieces in the bag) and also myself for not having them re-run the grain. I know it wasn't the mash since i hit my temps perfect and they held the whole time. Bummer, live and learn. Guess i'll boil a little down to get to my target.

A lot of guys have success with Corona Mills, which are cheaper than barley crushers, but you must be careful, especially if you're using a manifold.

Na, I'm the kind of guy that will save the extra money and buy the better of the two, saves money and headache in the long run.

Then there you go. I have two neighbors with grain mills, barley crushers to be exact. I just borrow them or go over to their house. Same with bottling equipment (minus the bottles/caps, which I source).

When I relied on a home brew shop mill I had noticed some of the grain was still while, but had bee compressed enough that when I pinched the kernel it would easily break, so before I purchased my own mill I took a clay mixer (which I used during mash in, later) and stirred the grain in the bucket dry. It really helped crack those grains that were 'almost' there.

Just personal experience of a work around till then.

UPDATE- I found out that the lhbs recently oiled, cleaned, and adjusted the crush size of their mill. I ended up @ 1.044 on a mild that was supposed to be 1.038! Not complaining at all about this! I ended up with an 83.5% efficiency.

Yeah, I just used my Barley Crusher for the first time today and got 83% efficiency with the factory setting. Never got close to that with the crush from the LHBS. Of, course the only problem with that is the possibility of a 6.8% ABV Pale Ale! :cross:

I hear a lot about corona mills which I know are small hand or drill driven mills. Also see mention of several others including a "Monster Mill".
My local brew shop uses a coffe mill...I know this because it says "Coffee" right across the front of it. Big red upright unit. What is every one else using? I am new to all grain but when I step off into something I jump with both feet, (which is why there are 3 kegs in my floor waiting for bulkhead connections). I have been brewing with extracts and partial grains for about 10 years. I didn't switchto AG to make easier beer, I want to make BETTER beer.
But back to grain mills, do most of you have your own or at least have access to one or do most use lhbs mill?
Anybody here build their own mill?
Thanks
ron,ar

I started AG brewing last year and i got myself 2 kegs and corona mill with sack of 2 row for a start, im not paying $1.5 for base malt ever again, i love small footprint of my mill (its in a bucket) and 82% efficiency i get from my system, not bad for $25 mill ;)

Used my new Barley Crusher for the first time on Saturday. Had purchased grain that I had them crush, cause I didnt know if the BC would make it in time. Ran it through there and it was much finer than the Midwest Supplies crush. Did BIAB and hit 80% efficiency. I doubt I would have gotten that with the original crush. Cant wait to use it again!

I hear a lot about corona mills which I know are small hand or drill driven mills. Also see mention of several others including a "Monster Mill".
My local brew shop uses a coffe mill...I know this because it says "Coffee" right across the front of it. Big red upright unit. What is every one else using? I am new to all grain but when I step off into something I jump with both feet, (which is why there are 3 kegs in my floor waiting for bulkhead connections). I have been brewing with extracts and partial grains for about 10 years. I didn't switchto AG to make easier beer, I want to make BETTER beer.
But back to grain mills, do most of you have your own or at least have access to one or do most use lhbs mill?
Thanks
ron,ar

There are a few DIY mill designs out there but I don't feel like digging up the threads (I know Yuri has one). To answer your question, I think more people use pre milled grains or mill them at the LHBS simply because of the upfront cost of a mill. However, once you get your mill you will end up saving a lot more money because it is more feasible to buy your grain in larger quantities. I know some people buy grain in bulk and then haul the weighed out recipe to the LHBS to crush it but that sounds like a hassle to me.

I have two neighbors who have mills. They kindly let me borrow them. When they stop, I'll look into getting one, probably a Corona.

I gather from this and other discussion that uncrushed grain can be bought in bulk and has a longer shelf life than crushed grain? Would it be feasible to buy 50-100 lbs uncrushed grain, store in an airtight container and crush it as you need it and have a usable grain? How long will uncrushed grains retain their freshness in this situation? Remember I am new to AG and am just to see what my options are.

I have read varying reports of whether or not the container needs to be airtight. I believe that as long as you use it within a few months and you don't get excess moisture or any "grain weevles" it is fine to keep it in a tote. I buy bags by the 50lbs and keep them in a 4 dollar tote from target that is no where near airtight and my grains still smell and taste the same as when I bought them in the beginning of january. I also try to keep them out of the light and have something heavy sitting on the lid so as too avoid any critters getting nosey.

"Where there's barley there's rats ya know." - Simpsons episode

i store my grain in airtight homedepo buckets but im gona buy 250LBs soon so part of it i will keep in not so airtight 50gal tote, im gona use not so airtight first, saving the one in hd buckets for later

Thanks
ron,ar

I built my own for pretty much free with cut-offs they were throwing away at work. If you have a little experience with and access to a mill and a lathe, it's not too complicated to do. If you had to buy the metal stock, it might be simpler just to spend the money on buying a pre-made one though. It's nice to be able to buy base malt in bulk and crush it yourself whenever you feel like brewing.

Has anyone cleaned/sanitized a large trash can and kept grain in it?

I just got a free (brand new) 32 gallon trash can from work. I asked for it for the purpose of holding grain in but when it was shipped here it looks like it can hold 200lbs of grain... which is sadly too much because I can't brew that often. I will be using it as a trash can instead.

So, no but I can't see why not.

I've dialed my corona in to between 74 (with a fair amount of wheat malt saison) and 77 (majority of Marris Otter porter). I have hit higher on a "bee cave haus pale" which I will be brewing again soon, and can't wait to see results.

Corona's can be fussy and take some tweaking, and I grind fine, but with the addition of a strainer bag above the manifold I have not come close to a stuck sparge. Without one I have had 1 stuck sparge, but have since adjusted grind a bit. I run bag filter as piece of mind, just because I'm in the target zone for the last 5 batches

I just got a free (brand new) 32 gallon trash can from work. I asked for it for the purpose of holding grain in but when it was shipped here it looks like it can hold 200lbs of grain... which is sadly too much because I can't brew that often. I will be using it as a trash can instead.

So, no but I can't see why not.

I was thinking of this in the long run, but for now probably a smaller can like kitchen size. Tupperware/Rubbermaid whatever is fine, too, I guess. Dog-food containers have the handy flip-up lid and hold quite a bit, too.

About to go in on 55# of grain with a friend soon, so I need to be thinking of these things :ban:

Back