Can anybody convert this to extract for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FridasBoss

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WYeast 2112/WLP810
Yeast Starter: 2L Starter
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.011
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks @ 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks
Tasting Notes: This is a fantasticly close clone to Anderson Valley Summer Solstice

I pulled the following from an old clone thread. My wife likes this beer, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Thanks!
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WYeast 2112/WLP810
Yeast Starter: 2L Starter
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 4 IBU
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks @ 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks
Tasting Notes: This is a fantasticly close clone to Anderson Valley Summer Solstice
ABV: 5.6%
Summer Solstice Recipe:

Assuming 75% efficiency:
9 lbs 2-row
14 oz Crystal 40*
12 oz Crystal 80*
1 oz Cascade Hops @ 5 minutes
WYeast 2112 (Make a nice big starter 2L+)
1.5-2oz of Vanilla extract added at Bottling/Kegging. 1.5oz is a great start, add to taste. If you feel it needs a touch more vanilla add 0.5oz more.

Mash at 150* for 60 minutes, Boil for 60 minutes, add hops with 5 minutes left.
Chill your wort down under 75*, and pitch your starter.

This beer turns out identical to Summer/Winter solstice. It's smooth, crisp, and has that lovely hint of vanilla. If you have the ability to lager, this beer would be even better if lagered for a month.

Please watch where you post! this was in the "database" forum, which is for proven and tested recipes. I moved it to the proper forum.

Generally, 1 pound two- row = .6 pounds light DME.

I don't see any 60 minute hops in this recipe- something isn't right. Is the original recipe different than the one you copied?

FridasBoss: To get the same gravity points as 9 pounds of two row, you would need 6.95 pounds of extra light DME (100% efficiency). Since the recipe assumes 75% efficiency, you will need 5.25 lbs of DME. That's why Yooper said 1lb = .6lb. I assume you will do a steep with the specialty malts. The IBU for your recipe is 4 (?). I'm not sure that's what you want with a malt bill like this. IMO an IBU of 15 would be more appropriate. This beer does not have a hop nose, which the late addition of 1 oz. at 5 min would give you. 1/3 to 1/2 oz cascade for 60 min would get you in the ballpark depending on the AAU of the hops you buy. This beer should finish sweet with a vanilla nose and taste. Just my 2 centavos...

I'm wondering if the recipe is listing the hops backwards. Throwing them in 5 minutes into the boil would make much more sense.

Back