Ready to go All-Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pksmitty

Reaction score
I've done a couple extract batches and 4 PMs (stovetop). I think I'm ready to go AG now.

I have my propane burner, 10 gallon brewpot, cooler MLT, and materials to build an IC with pre-chiller. Any other equipment I need?

Also, I'm trying to decide what to brew. I'd like to do a chocolate stout (I've been looking at CheshreCat's PM recipe), but there's an IPA I did as a PM that I really like. I'll download beersmith and convert to AG if I do one of those.

I'll probably brew over Thanksgiving weekend. Any other suggestions?

A hot liquid tank. Sure you can use the brewpot for the strike water, but you have to collect first runnings (if batch sparging) or a continuous running (fly sparging) while feeding the sparge water into the MLT.

A 5 gallon cooler or pot will work for that. Beyond that you look ready.

I agree a HLT is most needed. I use 3 vessels on brew day. A converted keg for my HLT a ice cube igloo for my MLT and a 10 gallon kettle for boiling my wort, I only do 5 gallon batches.

Great! I've got a 5 gallon pot that I've used for brewing so far. I guess that can be my hot tank.

I'll have my LHBS crush the grains for me. So I guess I'm ready.

Wish me luck!

Back