can you use Lavlin yeast for Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nucmed24

Reaction score
Is it necessary to use the Montrachet wine yeast for the Edwort's apfelwein?? I only have Lavlin's EC-1118 and the K1-V1116 yeasts, and the LHBS is 2 hours drive away. I'm not sure of the difference of the yeasts, other than the EC-1118 is a champagne yeast. Thanks in advance.

no, people use whatever yeast they have around. I think next batch I'll use a hefeweizen yeast. Check the huge Apfelwein thread for all the different options.

I'm using EC-1118 at the moment. It seems to working quite well. It's fermenting quite nicely. I started it on last Friday (5 October). If you want to make pure still Apfelwein I probably would go with something else, as this one produces a lot of CO2 in the liquid while it is fermenting.

I have my first batch bubbling away and it used the K1-V1116 and I already like the taste of it quite a bit.

I am currently drinking a batch that I made using Lalvin. I used the Lalvin 71B-1122 which is supposed to leave a fruity taste in wines. My cider is quite dry with a nice sour apple/green apple finish.
I have used hefe yeast before, it comes out very good. The batch I have in fermenter now is using White Labs WLP300 hefe yeast.
I don't think varying the yeast gives WIDELY varying results in taste, just subtle differences.
Use watcha got!

nucmed24 said:
Is it necessary to use the Montrachet wine yeast for the Edwort's apfelwein?? I only have Lavlin's EC-1118 and the K1-V1116 yeasts, and the LHBS is 2 hours drive away. I'm not sure of the difference of the yeasts, other than the EC-1118 is a champagne yeast. Thanks in advance.

I've used EC-1118 and Montrachet. IMHO the EC-1118 tasted like Pooch-P*ss. The montrachet is much better. ......:)

Back