Sanke valve removal help!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpatrol

Reaction score
I have an old Miller keg I just picked up and am having a hell of a time removing the valve. Its not like the usual kegs with the snap ring. Its one of those older kegs with the big square indentations on the top skirt. The valve itself unscrews to a certain point but feels as though its getting hung up on something and wont pull out. I can tell its totally unscrewed but I just cant figure out if there is a notch or something I'm missing that it needs to pass. Ive messed with it for over an hour now and am about ready to throw it through a wall. I'm trying to remove the valve so my jig will fit into it to cut the top. It has no snap ring and only unscrews.

PLEASE HELP! !

Well, you do actually have to throw it through the wall in order to get it out. 9 out of 10 times it falls out just as it hits the ground on the other side of the wall.

Im really no help and I have had a few homebrews. Good luck though!

The threading part was easy, what I did was drove a long flathead screwdriver through the part that depresses and then wobble it and reposition it till I feel it starts giving way. It enabled me to cause the small clip to move enough to yank out the tube. It takes some time to do right.

I could be completely incorrect but there are 3 or 4 little tabs that lock the valve in. Wish I paid attention to the guy who removed mine when I bought the kegs.

Thanks for the link. That is the same brand keg, however, the valve itself is a bit different. The one showed in that link has the snap ring which I was able to get out of my other kegs. The one I'm having a hard time with has no snap ring and no visile "key" or notch that is visible. I can totally unscrew the shaft to the point where I know its not threaded but it wil not come out for the life of me. I have tried moving it a hair at a time to see if there is some internal key not seen externally that needs to catch but am having no luck. I'm losing patience and am about to shoot it.

miller keg valves have a safety catch that needs to be released before the valve will come all of the way out. google "miller keg valve safety" and you will find the answer.

i also believe there is an old thread on it here, do some searching...

Back