How to make a bomb.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
Ingredients:
one yeast cake
20 liters Russian Imperial Stout wort

directions:
mix

I thought putting towels under, around and over it would cushion the blow. Replacing the airlock with some hose should have helped.
I should have just put it in the bath tub and closed the door.
Instead I am unpcking my brew closet to let the floor dry out. I think the Russian Imperial stain will never come out of the floor.:rockin:

Sorry, no pics. I came home (drunk) after a picnic, 1am or so. My only thought was bed... 2 hours of cleaning later I get to sleep it off.
Not bottle bombs, by the way, fermentor bomb. A true weapon of mass saturation. The closet smells nice though.

鯰  said:
Sorry, no pics. I came home (drunk) after a picnic, 1am or so. My only thought was bed... 2 hours of cleaning later I get to sleep it off.
Not bottle bombs, by the way, fermentor bomb. A true weapon of mass saturation. The closet smells nice though.

Having encountered closets that smell much worse, I'll take yours...

鯰  said:
Ingredients:
one yeast cake
20 liters Russian Imperial Stout wort

directions:
mix

I thought putting towels under, around and over it would cushion the blow. Replacing the airlock with some hose should have helped.
I should have just put it in the bath tub and closed the door.
Instead I am unpcking my brew closet to let the floor dry out. I think the Russian Imperial stain will never come out of the floor.:rockin:

I had that happen once. 'Twas a porter, into which I had put a large amount of molasses and brown sugar. The fermentation started out nice enough, then on the second day I woke up and went downstairs to check on it, and was greeted with an unholy mess and some ruined beer. Lesson learned, from now on when I try to do something like that I WILL use a blowoff tube to start it.

My Boom-Boom vanilla is named because of some overly gassy yeast. Advantage to using a bucket is that the top can blow off and not cause a huge explosion.

Back