Fake Maerzen with Real Lager Yeast Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute2

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to make my first pseudo-lager-type beer using this recipe as a base:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/dan-man-marzen-216507/

I pitched two packets of Saflager S-23 into my 5-gallons of wort at 65 deg. F, then placed it in the coldest part of my basement, which has maintained a temperature of 56 deg. The Fermentis website sayst that the ideal temp range for this yeast strain is 53.6 - 59 deg. Day 1.5-Day 4 experienced very fast (1 pop per second) airlock activity. Dawn of Day 5 showed slower airlock activity (1 pop every 10 seconds).

So, be gentle since I'm still a newb at this...

When should I rack out of primary (this was also my first time using a whirfloc tablet and there's a good amount of trub in there)?

I'm going to keep my secondary in the same location - how long in secondary and are there any special considerations should I take into account? I have no capacity to lager, with the exception of post-bottling storage in a refrigerator.

Thanks.

Fermentation is going to be warmer than ambient temperature, sometimes by a lot. You probably fermented this at ale temps. Taste it when the gravity's aroudn 1.020 and see if it needs to get even warmer for a diacetyl rest. If not , bottle it up, get it carbonated, and get it into lagering for a good long time. Next time, you'll probably want to do this with an ale yeast.

Back