beersmith 2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpooky

Reaction score
Quick Q... I put a recipe from here (heavenscent IIPA) on beersmith2. I got all of my numbers adjusted to about the same as the recipe. In the "beer profile" my estimated ABV is 7.9, but the "AUCTUAL" ABV shows 4.7.

The estimated OG, and FG is different from the recipe that I created as opposed to the "beer profile"
Why is that???????
Thanks
Jason

Quick Q... I put a recipe from here (heavenscent IIPA) on beersmith2. I got all of my numbers adjusted to about the same as the recipe. In the "beer profile" my estimated ABV is 7.9, but the "AUCTUAL" ABV shows 4.7.

The estimated OG, and FG is different from the recipe that I created as opposed to the "beer profile"
Why is that???????
Thanks
Jason

Under the recipe, on the right is a column of items like "predicted OG", "actual OG", "IBUs". Put in the actual OG (or the one you expect) and the actual Fg (or the one you expect) and that should fix it.

If not, if you could post a screenshot so I could see it then I'm sure we could fix it.

Under the recipe, on the right is a column of items like "predicted OG", "actual OG", "IBUs". Put in the actual OG (or the one you expect) and the actual Fg (or the one you expect) and that should fix it.

If not, if you could post a screenshot so I could see it then I'm sure we could fix it.

I dont see those options. I dont know if it matters, but Im using the "trial version" and Im trying to figure it out before buying..... how do I post a screenshot?
thanks

Hold shift and then hit print screen, load up MS paint, click "paste", save the file as a .jpg and upload it as an attachment to a post here in the thread. :D

Untitled_zpsd88b9fe3.jpg

Change the "measured original gravity" to whatever the projected OG is.

Change the "measured final gravity" to whatever the projected FG is.

By having "1.046" in there for the measured Og, that is giving you a lower actual ABV.

10/4! I think that got it,,,,
Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 9.3 %
Bitterness: 96.0 IBUs Calories: 271.2 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 11.3 SRM

does that make more sence?????
THANKS ALOT!
Jason

Yeah, that's how BS works...until you brew, and get your actual numbers, you either ignore all the "Actual" stuff until after the brewday, or just plug in the predicted numbers. Personally, I just ignore that part until I copy it over to my Brew Log folder and fill in the dates and all that. You will find the same thing happens under the "Starter" tab in design mode. Before you get ready to brew, you must go in there and enter the proper production date of your yeast or it will throw those numbers off as well (starter size (liquid) no. of packs (dry)).

Back