What is the smell at the start of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pronay

Reaction score
Hi, I'm making a tinned Strawberry wine, I was just wondering what the funky smell is that often occurs, sort of like eggs. I've made a few similar wines and the smell has always cleared, but I'm just wondering what causes it

Hi, I'm making a tinned Strawberry wine, I was just wondering what the funky smell is that often occurs, sort of like eggs. I've made a few similar wines and the smell has always cleared, but I'm just wondering what causes it

that is the ever popular "rhino farts" - that would be sulphur - it's normal by product of fermentation with certain fruits and yeast strains - adding yeast nutrient to some yeast/must combos will somtimes keep it in check (evidently montrachet and applejuice is notorious for it) - though I've never experienced it, as i use nutrients - a lighter than advised amount to be sure, but it still goes in - on every batch

Latest posts

Back