Butter beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I'm too pee'd off to do a search for the answer to this question!
I have 5 gallons of centennial blonde in a keg which has an overwhelming butter taste. I did ferment slightly too high - 72F. Is all lost? Should I dump it or will the taste die down a bit over time? I fermented for two and a half weeks and 1 week in keg so far. Notty yeast.
Thanks...

Uh oh. Butter flavor = diacetyl. In a lighter style like blonde ale, you will obviously notice it much more than you might in a darker, roasty brew. If you have a high level, it may never condition out. Sorry.

Nottingham is probably the #1 worst dry ale yeast to let ferment too warmly. It has a solid reputation for kicking off some funky off-flavors if allowed to get above 68*F while it is actively feasting on sugars (during the first 4-5 days). If 72*F was your air temp, that is going to give you a downright disappointing result every time.

Notty does best in the upper 50's to lower 60's during the active portion of the process. I like it and have run it as low as 55*F with success. You can then let it warm finish up around 66-67*F (to clean up normal by-products).

BigFloyd said:
Uh oh. Butter flavor = diacetyl. In a lighter style like blonde ale, you will obviously notice it much more than you might in a darker, roasty brew. If you have a high level, it may never condition out. Sorry.

Nottingham is probably the #1 worst dry ale yeast to let ferment too warmly. It has a solid reputation for kicking off some funky off-flavors if allowed to get above 68*F while it is actively feasting on sugars (during the first 4-5 days). If 72*F was your air temp, that is going to give you a downright disappointing result every time.

Notty does best in the upper 50's to lower 60's during the active portion of the process. I like it and have run it as low as 55*F with success. You can then let it warm finish up around 66-67*F (to clean up normal by-products).

I suspected I'd have off flavors as I did ferment too warm but didn't think it would taste this bad.
It's a shame as I don't have a lot of time to brew often so will have to get some more rolling soon.

Ill be more careful next time! Thanks for your reply. I may use Us-05 or 04 until the winter!

Hold up! Don't dump yet! Do you have more Nottingham? Or any ale yeast actually? Make a 1L starter with it. Put keg where it was 72. When the starter is actively fermenting (8-24 hours), add it to your keg.

I just did this with two kegs of an IPA and it worked very quickly! The yeast ate up all of the diacetyl in 4 days. It can take longer, but since its a keg you can try it from time to time.

I live in an area that is quite warm in the summer (Ok, it's hellishly hot!). I used to live in Eastern Montana and know that the continental temperatures there can get pretty hot as well (I assume Alberta is pretty similar). Rather than fighting these really high temps during ferments I go from US-05 and into Saison during early summer (using a swamp cooler if needed). As the summer gets hotter I have recently started switching to making wine. Then in late September I'll go back to ales, with the heaviest stuff brewed in November, December and January. This works for me in my area.

libeerty said:
Hold up! Don't dump yet! Do you have more Nottingham? Or any ale yeast actually? Make a 1L starter with it. Put keg where it was 72. When the starter is actively fermenting (8-24 hours), add it to your keg.

I just did this with two kegs of an IPA and it worked very quickly! The yeast ate up all of the diacetyl in 4 days. It can take longer, but since its a keg you can try it from time to time.

I have some W001 that needs using up. Would that work? Should I let the keg reach the warm temp before I add the starter?

Thanks for your help. I would love to save this beer !

cluckk said:
I live in an area that is quite warm in the summer (Ok, it's hellishly hot!). I used to live in Eastern Montana and know that the continental temperatures there can get pretty hot as well (I assume Alberta is pretty similar). Rather than fighting these really high temps during ferments I go from US-05 and into Saison during early summer (using a swamp cooler if needed). As the summer gets hotter I have recently started switching to making wine. Then in late September I'll go back to ales, with the heaviest stuff brewed in November, December and January. This works for me in my area.

Sounds like a better idea. I used to think my basement was too cool in winter here but actually it's perfect!

I have some W001 that needs using up. Would that work? Should I let the keg reach the warm temp before I add the starter?

Thanks for your help. I would love to save this beer !

I think 001 would be perfect for it. And yeah, I'd warm it up before. Let me know how it works out for you!

Boil up 2 habaneros and toss them in the keg that will get rid of the diacetyl flavor. Plus you’ll only get a little heat from the chilies.

libeerty said:
I think 001 would be perfect for it. And yeah, I'd warm it up before. Let me know how it works out for you!

I have made the starter. Ill add it tomorrow. When its finished, will I need to rack the beer to another keg or will the yeast come out in the first couple of pints?

Thanks.

YtBoI said:
Boil up 2 habaneros and toss them in the keg that will get rid of the diacetyl flavor. Plus you’ll only get a little heat from the chilies.

Mmmm... chili beer ;)

Back