I'm Scared to intall BeerSmith 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using BeerSmith for what seems like forever. I recall trying Pro Mash at a buddy's house when it just came out and not liking it. About a year later I tried BeerSmith and loved it. I am currently running BeerSmith 1.4, and I have no complaints. While at NHC, I bought BeerSmith 2. I stopped and saw all the pretty colors, and it was being offered for only $20.00. Anywho, fast forward to today. I have yet to install my new BeerSmith2 due to remembering how much of a PITA it was to upload all of my recipes into BeerSmith1.4 from my original BeerSmith. So, my question is this. For the people who have upgraded to BeerSmith2, did the program automatically upload all of the recipes from the version that it replaced into the new BeerSmith2?

don't do it. half of the greatest features are gone, it's buggy, and the help files are missing. The interface is way confusing. You can post on the beersmith form "help, I upgraded and all my recipe files disappeared" and no one responds for over 6 months. The guy who writes it spends %99 time fixing his new buggy mobile version which is even worse by the sounds of it.

Just do a backup, it's not hard. Also, why aren't people already keeping backups?

Personally I like Beersmith 2 a lot better.

aside from a few small bugs when it was first released I haven't had any issues with BS 2 and am very happy that I upgraded

make a back up of all your recipes and files just in case you have any problems but the old recipes should import over just fine

I have both BS2 and the mobile versions, neither of which have I seen any bugs or stability issues. BS2 is a considerable improvement over BS1 and I love the mobile app on my tablet during brew day.

I have no idea what grathan is talking about.

There was a bit of a learning curve when I upgraded to BS 2.0 from 1.4- but I"m glad I did.

I didn't have any issues importing my recipes, and have them all from 2006 without any issues at all.

Thanks to all for the replies. Yoopers post is the one that has pushed me over the edge. After today's batch, I will install the new BeerSmith2.
There was a bit of a learning curve when I upgraded to BS 2.0 from 1.4- but I"m glad I did.

I didn't have any issues importing my recipes, and have them all from 2006 without any issues at all.

Just backup your files first. BS2 is a bit of a learning curve. But it can do so many things to tweak your recipe & process according to different brewing styles. I love being able to tweak a recipe accorsing to style before even buying the ingredients.

Back