How much sanitizer hurts the finished beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtockst

Reaction score
I got a Brewer's Best equipment kit and the LD Carlson Easy Clean is the sanitizer that came with it. I was taking a gravity reading on my primary, and the gravity still wasn't down into the final range specified by my recipe, so I put the lid back on with my airlock. I use the Easy Clean to fill my airlock with, and I somehow sucked probably a tablespoon of it or more into my beer in the primary when I was putting the lid back on! This Easy Clean stuff says it's oxygen based and is a no rinse cleanser, and I mixed it up following the directions (1 tablespoon per gallon). So do you think about a tablespoon of this mixed up sanitizer would hurt my finished beer at all?

Awesome thanks a lot. I do wonder though... why does this Easy Clean stuff only say cleanser and not sanitizer? I know it is intended to be the sanitizer with this equipment kit. I also noticed that after mixing it up, it seems to have the same smell and feel on my hands as OxyClean does. Anyone know if these might actually be the same type of product?

Awesome thanks a lot. I do wonder though... why does this Easy Clean stuff only say cleanser and not sanitizer? I know it is intended to be the sanitizer with this equipment kit. I also noticed that after mixing it up, it seems to have the same smell and feel on my hands as OxyClean does. Anyone know if these might actually be the same type of product?

Here is a great thread on sanitizers and cleaners (like Oxyclean) that has helped me a lot!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Next time, use some cheap vodka in the airlock. It won't grow any nasties, and if it gets sucked in... you just boosted the ABV! (A negligible amount, but still, it sounds cool.)

Next time, use some cheap vodka in the airlock. It won't grow any nasties, and if it gets sucked in... you just boosted the ABV! (A negligible amount, but still, it sounds cool.)

haha that's hilarious. And there's no harm in getting a small amount of vodka in your beer? Like the horrible taste?

Back