Double Dragon extract with grains recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Anyone have one?

I had this ale while in Wales a few years back and it's not available in Canada, sadly, so I'd love to try to brew it myself.

Thanks!

Nick

Just did a google search and found this recipe. http://www.hopandgrain.com/recipeSearch.aspx?name=Felinfoel%20Double%20Dragon Looks promising. It would be easy to substitute extract for the pale malt and the torrified wheat by using mostly pale extract with a little wheat extract (since wheat extract is usually ~50% wheat use it for 20% of the fermentables). Or skip the wheat, probably won't make much difference. You can steep the crystal. Use a darker invert sugar, since if I remember correctly, double dragon is fairly dark. Should make a great beer. The recipe doesn't suggest a yeast so just use your favorite liquid British yeast.

Double Dragon is a lovely brew with a delicate blend of hops. I've made an all grain version several times with my interpretation of the recipe from Roger Protz' book. I would suggest doing at least a mini-mash as that is the only way to properly incorporate torrified wheat. While it is a minor ingredient I think it would be noticeable if left out as it gives a subtle toasty grain flavor. The pale malt in the mini-mash will also give a nice flavor enhancement to the extract. If you cannot do the mini-mash, sub a pound of light wheat DME for the pale and torrified and just steep the crystal.

Five Gallons, Extract w/ Mini-mash

Mini-Mash:
1 lb UK pale malt
.25 lb UK Crystal 55L
.5 lb Torrified wheat

4 lbs Light UK DME
.5 lb Sugar

60 Minute Hops:
.25 oz Challenger
.5 oz Brambling Cross

15 Minute Hops:
.5 oz WGV (Whitbread Golding Varities)

I like London Ale yeast, Wyeast 1028 or White Lab WLP-013, but you can use any one of your favorites. :mug:

Thanks for the info guys.

After I had my first pint of Double Dragon, I thought it was the best beer I'd ever had in my life and it's the beer that is solely responsible for my love of British bitters, although I have to "settle" for Fuller's ESB, London Pride etc in light of the fact I can't get Double Dragon here in Canada.

@BigEd...what's a mini-mash? I assume it's more complicated than steeping?
Also, when you say "If you cannot do the mini-mash, sub a pound of light wheat DME for the pale and torrified and just steep the crystal"...do you mean sub a pound of light wheat DME for both the pale malt and torrified wheat together, or a pound of light wheat DME each for the pale malt and torrified wheat? (ie, do I use 1 or 2 pounds of light wheat DME?)

Lastly, for the sugar, do I use simple cane sugar or the corn sugar that I use for bottle priming?

Thanks!

Nick

@BigEd...what's a mini-mash? I assume it's more complicated than steeping?

Yes, but not excessively so. Steeping is just soaking to leach out colors and flavors from specialty malts. Mashing has malt with enzymes (base malts) where those enzymes carry on the activity of converting starches to sugars. In this case both from themselves and from the torrified wheat.

If you do a search for mini mashing you will find lots more detailed information on HBT.

Also, when you say "If you cannot do the mini-mash, sub a pound of light wheat DME for the pale and torrified and just steep the crystal"...do you mean sub a pound of light wheat DME for both the pale malt and torrified wheat together,

Yes.

Lastly, for the sugar, do I use simple cane sugar or the corn sugar that I use for bottle priming?

Plain white household table sugar.

Latest posts

Back