Drip tray attachment ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittygouv30

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been researching the forum for the best ideas for attaching drip trays to the front of the freezer. Mine arrived yesterday and I'm open to all ideas. My initial thought is to use rare earth magnets to prevent direct adherence to the freezer but I've read that even with these the tray tends to slide down the freezer.

So what is your approach?

Corey

I assume since you are mounting it to the front that you have a collar on your keezer. Could you mount the drip tray to a plate of some sort and mount the plate to the collar?

Pics of the set up might help.

Here is the set-up thus far. I have a 19" flat drip tray without a plate to adhere to the freezer. I'm using the same drip tray that many have used on the forum. I ordered it from barproducts.com.

image-2765839421.jpg

I used 3m velcro used for hanging pictures. I got 5 pieces on the tray and 5 on the fridge. It's been on there for years and has never come off unless I take it off.

I'm using three L brackets held to the fridge door with one longish rare earth magnet each. The drip tray rests on top of that held to the other part of the L bracket with three round rare earth magnets. Works really well to hold it in place. Also easily supports a full pint glass of homebrew. :D

All this makes me very glad my set up has enough room to allow for the coffin box rather than the collar. It's zero issue to mount the drip tray up there :)

I have a kegerator not a keezer, but mounting doesn't change much. I use L brackets that are epoxied to the front of the door. Been holding up great for a long time now and never had any fear of the epoxy falling off. It'll easily hold a full pitcher as well.

I'm using three L brackets held to the fridge door with one longish rare earth magnet each. The drip tray rests on top of that held to the other part of the L bracket with three round rare earth magnets. Works really well to hold it in place. Also easily supports a full pint glass of homebrew.

Me too, but I used velcro to attach the tray to the L brackets.

I used L brackets and magnets like alot here. The thing I found is that it wouldn't fall off, but it would still slide pretty easily since magnets will easily slide around as long as they don't lose their attraction. I got around that by covering the magnets in Plast-Dip to increase the friction. Been on there like that for a few years with no problems.

I definitely like the idea of using magnets with L brackets. And great idea dipping then to increase the friction. I'm wondering how many magnets I'll need to mount the 19" drip tray. I have 3 small rare earth magnets left over from my stir plate build. I'm assuming that is far from enough?

Mine weren't super high end magnets but I used 8 that were 1" x 1/2" x 1/2", two for each bracket. Four brackets. You definitely want it to hold everything up, plus at least two full pints of beer.

I bent a piece of sheet metal that is shorter that the tray into an L shape then bought two magnetic tool holders from harbor freight and screwed them to the sheet metal. I punched a hole for the drain connection which keeps the tray from sliding forward. I can put a full pitcher on it without sliding. Its kind of ugly right now but I'll make a version 2.0 that is not visible from the front of the keezer. I don't have proper sheet metal bending tools so I drove my car on top of one side then pulled up really hard :mug:.

I have a 19" SS tray with L-brackets. I tried rare earth magnets and it wouldn't hold without sliding. Try this: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208821193&listingid=195017271

It is what I used and it is super strong. No problems at all. I found it at Staples.

I could fill a pitcher with it resting on my tay without worry. Check out pictures in my link below for my tray installation.

I used L brackets like everyone else, but went with a permanent solution of liquid nails to hold them on the keezer. Then I used industrial velcro on the bottom of the drip tray. It's been awesome and I've had no issues with things as heavy as pitchers sitting on it and being stable.

I don't have any sliding issue with a pint resting on the tray with three L brackets and the magnets (2" x 3/16" x 1/2"), with one on each bracket against the fridge door. The small (1/2" round) magnets in the tray are just to keep it in position. I've placed a quart of cleaner/sanitizer on the tray too, but not for long. I wanted the magnets there, or a non-perm solution, so that I could adjust the height of the tray for different size glasses. Pints are the norm, but I have some taller, 22 or 23oz glasses that I can use. I simply lower the tray for those then lift it back up when done. Very simple, very easy. :D

When I setup a keezer, I plan on using a tower of some kind. Maybe a coffin, or something else completely different (although I'm sure it's already been done before).

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the command strips with L brackets, easily holds a couple pints and can be removed by just pulling the release from the strip. They were the big strips and 3 inch brackets, the drip tray is the Lowe's smoker box.

Hi

Use the magnets and just glue a "stop" on the surface below the drip tray. Gorilla glue works fine. The stop doesn't have to be anything very thick. Just about anything you have lying around will do the job. The magnets hold the tray tight to the surface. It slides down, hits the stop and goes no further.

Bob

I didn't like the magnets. They were always slidding down if you even looked at them funny. I had a friend at work bend me a piece of steel in to a large craddle. I mounted it to the lip where the freezer meets the lid with some really small screws. Works great, and no more worries.

2012-01-22_12-31-16_358.jpg

I used three L brackets with that premixed epoxy in the plastic syringe thing. Then I attached Velcro to the top of the L brackets and bottom of the drip tray. Holds three pints fine.

Hammy's looks very nice. That's a good looking option. On mine, the steel would have to be longer as I only have a 3" collar.

Hi

If you make one from scratch, you might want to make it a little wider. I suspect the drip tray gets a bit unstable if you set the beer on the end of the tray.

Bob

Hi

If you make one from scratch, you might want to make it a little wider. I suspect the drip tray gets a bit unstable if you set the beer on the end of the tray.

Bob

Actually with mine, no. I've can put a full 22oz pilsner glass on the end with no problems. But, I agree...it couldn't hurt.

Actually with mine, no. I've can put a full 22oz pilsner glass on the end with no problems. But, I agree...it couldn't hurt.

Hi

If it works that narrow, then you might stick with the design. I'd bet it looks better narrow than it does wide.

Bob

Back