Burner: Bayou SP10, KAB4, or KAB6???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discooby

Reaction score
Help! I want to increase my AG production from 5 to 10 gal/batch and need to upgrade my burner. First, yes, lots of posts here about burners but none I could find that fits me as I’m using a kettle, not a keggle, and I want to make 10gal, not 5gal.

I’m using a 20” diameter, 15 gal stock-pot; I want to bring to boil, quickly 12+ gallons; I would like to conserve LP as much as possible but am willing to blow through a 20lb tank if it gets it done quickly. I usually use a 20lb LP tank brewing two 5gal batches (maybe enough left over to grill for 1 hr).

I’m stuck between the bayou SP10 (amazon $50), KAB4 (+$30 more) and KAB6 (+$50 more). I’ve read anywhere from 20 min boil times to 1+ hour boil times w/the SP10. I’ve also read 20min to 1+ hour boil times with the KAB’s. I’ve read the KAB’s blow through propane and have bad wind protection. I know the SP10 is 20 psi while the KAB’s use 30psi.

Can a SP10 bring 12+ gallons to boil, say at ambient air temps of 75 degrees, wort temps of 150 degrees, to boil within an hour? What about air temps of 50 degrees? Any thoughts? If the sp10 can do the job then it’s cheaper and more efficient than the KAB’s; but then again, maybe a KAB4 can kick but and boil in half the time…???

There's not a whole lot of difference between using a kettle vs a keggle for your boil. I like the SP10 burner personally but I have them mounted to a stand. Read through the other reviews and see what works best for your needs.

I know most keggles have a round bottle; my kettle is flat w/2 layers of SS sandwiched around a thick layer of Al on the bottom. Are you boiling 12+ gallons with your SP10? Whats the avg boil time? What ambient temp? Thanks :mug:

Yup. Up to boil in usually 45 min at 60f ish outside. I tend to start the boil with 3 gallons or so sparged and level off the heat once I've finished drawing off of the MLT as the full jet is not needed to maintain the boil.

Id go with option D- SQ14, cheap as the SP10, but more powerful, better on propane consumption and will hold a full keggle with no problem. At least in my case, never tried the KA series though.

I've been using an SP10 with a 15g aluminium kettle for 10g batches that start with 12.5g of wort. I live in Salt Lake and I used this set-up during winter AT NIGHT, maybe 20f outside, and was getting to a boil in 30-45min. Boiling at my altitude happens at 209f, so maybe that makes a difference?

Id go with option D- SQ14, cheap as the SP10, but more powerful, better on propane consumption and will hold a full keggle with no problem. At least in my case, never tried the KA series though.

More powerful than the sp10? I believe the sq14 is 10 psi while the sp10 is 20psi… I read that the psi along with burner size dictates the btu’s. I couldn’t find any info on the btu’s produced with the sq14; sp10 is rated at something like 185,000. The kab4 is something like 210,000. The sq14 looks like it has a bigger burner though.

I've been using an SP10 with a 15g aluminium kettle for 10g batches that start with 12.5g of wort. I live in Salt Lake and I used this set-up during winter AT NIGHT, maybe 20f outside, and was getting to a boil in 30-45min. Boiling at my altitude happens at 209f, so maybe that makes a difference?

I jumped the gun and purchased the kab4 on amazon. It’s strange how some sp10 users take 40-60 min to boil 6.5 gal while others can boil 12.5g in 30+. Maybe the pots being used since aluminum is more conductive than SS..
:mug:

I jumped the gun and purchased the kab4 on amazon. It’s strange how some sp10 users take 40-60 min to boil 6.5 gal while others can boil 12.5g in 30+. Maybe the pots being used since aluminum is more conductive than SS..

Well I've just added a KB4 and I'm going to brew today. The SQ10 will be on the HLT and to KB4 on the boil kettle, so I'll give my impressions.

A small disclaimer, though. I never timed how long it took me to get to a boil. When I had the single burner I would heat the HLT, transfer to the MT then drain into the BK which was sitting on the ground. Then I'd transfer the sparge water (batch sparge) to the MT and when I was finished with the HLT I'd put the BK on the burner and start heating it before I collected all the runnings. So, I wasn't starting with cold water. I never felt like the burner wasn't doing its job and don't remember waiting an hour or more for the boil to start, but maybe I was busy enough and was RDWHAHBing enough that I just didn't really notice.

Well, the KB4 puts out MUCH more heat than the SP10. You already knew that, but after comparing the two side-by-side I'll tell you, the difference is huge. The KB4 was putting out almost too much heat. I had to turn it almost all the way down and still got a very strong boil.

I own a SQ-14, KAB4, KAB5, and KAB6.

The KAB6 has been my favorite, and I use large kettles and also keg kettles, and use them for cooking as well as brewing. The KAB6 has a larger heat output than any of the other KAB models. I think that is only due to the air vent, regulator, and possibly orifice differences, but it is the best. While being the hottest, it can also be turned down to a tiny simmer like the other banjo burners. My only modification had to be to add a wind shield from scrap tin as the pot is located much higher above the burners than the others.

The frame of the KAB6 holds keg kettles best, where the others have the rim on the edge and not really safe without modifications. For regular pots that is not an issue with any of them. The KAB6 holds really big wide pots perfectly.

The other KAB banjo models work great too, so you can't really go wrong for brewing.

More powerful than the sp10? I believe the sq14 is 10 psi while the sp10 is 20psi… I read that the psi along with burner size dictates the btu’s. I couldn’t find any info on the btu’s produced with the sq14; sp10 is rated at something like 185,000. The kab4 is something like 210,000. The sq14 looks like it has a bigger burner though.

I have both the sq-14 will get a boil going quicker than the sp10. :mug:

HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Bayou Classic SP-1 which is the jet cooker. I have had it since I started AG, and it is incredible. It will boil 5 gallons from 80 F in about 10 minutes. It will bring 5 gallons from the mash tun to a boil in 5 minutes easy. I have never had a problem with scorching either. This burner is awesome and will save time on your boil.

Why is everyone seemingly avoiding the jet cooker?

I bought the jet cooker first. Loved it for ten minutes , then noticed the cheap black paint from it tarred the sides and bottom of my SS pot. Oh well, half my fault I guess. Then after steeping the grains and turning it back on to boil it won't light at the jet and is gushing gas out of the check valve back on the regulator. That damn thing cost me four hours on my first brew day. Thumbs down on the sp-1. Had to go buy a whole new turkey fryer kit.

I just started converting my kegs to keggles, and had identified the KAB6 as the best option. I've heard good things about the heating times on several different units, but the siz of the KAB6 is what made my decision for me, as it is 22" wide. Only weakness I've heard is the need for a windscreen, and that's an easy fix.

I bought the jet cooker first. Loved it for ten minutes , then noticed the cheap black paint from it tarred the sides and bottom of my SS pot. Oh well, half my fault I guess. Then after steeping the grains and turning it back on to boil it won't light at the jet and is gushing gas out of the check valve back on the regulator. That damn thing cost me four hours on my first brew day. Thumbs down on the sp-1. Had to go buy a whole new turkey fryer kit.

Man, I hate to hear that you had problems with yours. The paint definitely does flake off on the first use, but that doesn't affect the performance. The burner absolutely kicks butt, and I have used mine for big crawfish boils as well. I wouldn't even consider another option at this point, but I don't blame you for your opinion given your experience. I just have to believe that yours was faulty. I mean, burners don't fall apart (gushing gas out) on the first use, or else Bayou would be out of business.

I bought my 10" jet burners on topfoodservice.com they were $25 a piece and man do they heat up quick. I can get to a full boil (10gal) in about 8 min and heat up HLT and Mash Tun in about 15. I even had to take out some tips in the Mash Tun!

I own 2 kab4 and 1 sp10 burners. I enjoy them both but they have specific uses. . three biggest issues with the kabx models:

1) kab4 mounting geometery will hold a 15.5 keggle. However you best not bump it OR do what i did. bought a 7.99 grill grate to put on the top of it. I use the grill grate for the sp10 as well.

2) kabx models suffer from wind quite a bit. Unmodified i have to watch this burner all the time. The SP10 puts out 185k btu i believe and works very well in windy conditions.

3) frozen regulator (i've read about this, not experienced it first hand)

short term, i'm going to buy some flashing to put around the collar of the kab4 units to help with wind issues and efficiency. If that doesn't satisfy me I'll end up taking the kab4 units to a welder so he can reduce the height of the burner/surface to 2" (vs the default 4").

If i'm doing a 5 gallon batch, i'll just stick with the sp10. If i'm doing larger boils i'll go for the banjos (assuming there isn't a lot of wind).

both the sp10 and the kab4 are overkill for a 5 gallon batch (in terms of maintaining a boil) and both work great for boiling 12.5 gallons. Personally, i don't' like waiting to boil water or wort so i go with what will get me there faster.

tip: watch craigslist for burners. I picked up 2 kab4 models in good condition for 80 bucks total.

joeldp144 said:
Man, I hate to hear that you had problems with yours. The paint definitely does flake off on the first use, but that doesn't affect the performance. The burner absolutely kicks butt, and I have used mine for big crawfish boils as well. I wouldn't even consider another option at this point, but I don't blame you for your opinion given your experience. I just have to believe that yours was faulty. I mean, burners don't fall apart (gushing gas out) on the first use, or else Bayou would be out of business.

Yeah, it was a bum unit and I know that happens. Seemed like a great design - huge arse Bunsen burner really. But the hose/regulator was garbage and that was the ballgame.

I have both the sq-14 will get a boil going quicker than the sp10. :mug:

As they come stock, the SP-10 is 185K BTU, and the SQ-14 is only 55K. I've also used both, and in my experience the SP-10 heats way faster, as the BTU output would suggest. Did you change out the stock 10psi regulator on the SQ-14?

The sq-14 will blow out if you try to push it. Its an okay burner, but its not a burner that can be modified and will excel. I have one in the shed collecting dust, that seems to be its best feature.

Thanks for all the input. I used the KAB4 the other day and didn’t have a problem keeping a boil. To get from 150*F-ish to 212+ took about 20 min with 13.3 gallons in the pot; I don’t think I had it on its highest setting as the over-flow on the LP tank would shut off at a certain point.

Also, as Dean Palmer mentioned, I need to add a wind shield; the wind was only about 2 mph but it was enough to blow the heat and flame around noticeably.

That being said, I did have a whole different problem when using the KAB4 – explicitly with the 3 piece ball valve on the kettle melting! See post below

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/i-burnt-melted-my-3-piece-ball-valve-w-pics-261316/#post3150071

Gameface... what was your boil size... 5+ or 10+gal?

As they come stock, the SP-10 is 185K BTU, and the SQ-14 is only 55K. I've also used both, and in my experience the SP-10 heats way faster, as the BTU output would suggest. Did you change out the stock 10psi regulator on the SQ-14?

No, I didnt. I highly doubt those BTU's are accurate.

I had pretty much the same issue when using my KAB4 burner for the boil. Since moving to the Blichmann burner, that issue is pretty much gone.I like the one Blichmann I already have (with the leg extensions) that I'm about to order a second one for the HLT. I also find that I'm using less propane with the Blichmann burner and getting faster, easier to mainain boils too.

common problem with propane forges. several ways to fix

larger volume of liquid propane to draw from (larger heat mass) = larger tank
lower the gas draw per tank by running two in tandem = lower draw
add supplemental heat to the tank (warm water bath) = more heat for gas vaporization

I use two Bayou SQ-14s. (55K BTU) They cost $52 a piece off Amazon with free shipping. They work well, get 7 gallons of 75 degree water to a boil in 40 minutes, don't burn a lot of propane and could easily handle a 20" wide pot. YMMV

My buddy and I brewed on Saturday and he has a blichmann burner. The reason I see that it does not freeze up is his is a 10 psi regulator and mine is a 30. If find that I like the power that mine puts out when it is not freezing up. Doing 10 gallon batches I need the power so my brew day is not so long.

I brew in my garage, which faces into the prevailing wind. I rig a windbreak with a sheet of plywood and some sandbags. This works great for the boil. I also use a coleman camping stove. Heat strike water on the turkey fryer, and sparge water on the coleman in a 21qt canning kettle. Still fine tuning my process, but I'm happy.;)

Yea, I went with blichmann and I did it for a few reasons, the wind shield is awesome and the propane usage is small. I got about 8g to boil in about 10min from 160. I can get a rolling boil of 14lb of grain for decoctions on low... it was so hot that I missed the rest temp.

The second reason is, you do not want to go cheap with a burner. This is some serious heat that is being pumped out... you want the flame shielded, it to lift off the ground, for it to hold the weight of your pot plus 10G of water... Blichmann was a solid piece of equipment and I love it.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am in the market for a new burner. I was looking at the Bayous or possibly a Blichmann. I do 5 gallon batches but boil 7 gallons. I needs something that will heat evenly (my current burner is a little crooked and scorches the bottom of my SS pot). I also want something that does not burn a ton of propane. Also, I have a really large kettle (diameter-wise) so it's got to be able to fit on there. Not quite sure what the diameter is (I can measure when I get home). Which one would you all suggest?

Oh boy, go through a whole tank? I usually get 4 brew days off a tank, that is heating strike and sparge water and 60 min boil. Would the blichmann give similar results?

Oh boy, go through a whole tank? I usually get 4 brew days off a tank, that is heating strike and sparge water and 60 min boil. Would the blichmann give similar results?

Depending on how big your batches are, you should get at least 4 brews form a tank with the Blichmann burner. Provided, of course, you're not wasting propane (running it too hot).

Yeah, I went through a little over half a tank by burning it too high. It also formed a good 1/4 inch of snow at the propane line and froze up the regulator so the flame died down to very low and I lost my boil with about 30 minutes remaining. I will not do that again I will tell you. Of course I was using a KAB6 with a 30 psi reg so I was able to get it going pretty quick.

Back