Cleanser utilization (PBW)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrobertson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
PBW isn't' cheap but seams to be the choice of the masses from what I've read. In soaking a fermenter I am using so much solvent to fill the 6 gallon container. I was thinking I would maybe make a gallon then drop another fermenter on top filling it with water to get the solution to be in contact with all the inner surface without wasting all the solution that's just sitting in the middle. Unless all that is needed. Any thoughts on this or other ideas to get the most per PBW container?

I have also switched to the Oxyclean Free and TSP cleaner. Purchase a tub of the 3lb Oxyclean Free and a 1lb bag of TSP from Amazon and you will spend $14 for 4lb of cleaner. Thats much cheaper than PBW!

I keep hearing that PBW is expensive, but I don’t think the price is out of line for what it is. It has a chelator and they are expensive. I buy 48 oz of PBW for 14.95, that’s $.31/oz.

In contrast, generic fake Oxi at Walmart is $5.47 for 30 oz, or $.18/oz.

I mix in two parts of Oxiclean once the PBW is dissolved. That saves a little bit of money at $.22/oz. Mostly I do it because it works better than either cleaner by itself.

To the OP, you don't need six gallons of cleanser to clean a carboy.

OxiFree is 0.15/oz at my Walmart when buying the 3lb tub. PBW is 0.65/oz at my LHBS when buying 1 pounders. Not quite apples to apples but you see what I'm getting at. I still use PBW for kegs/lines but only oxy for general cleaning and fermentors.

I live decently close to where PBW and STAR SAN are made, wonder if they sell cheap when you stop by......

I dump 3TBSP of PBW in my fermenters & fill with water to just above the krausen ring...those dirty rings! You've tried everything & still get "Ring around the collar! Ring around the collar"! Just get the PBW & learn what amount really works. Hence my suggestion. Stir well to dissolve,& it works in a couple hours to dissolve it all & settle out. Come to think of it,I may've left this lil diddy out of my two gadget videos. I went to the dollar tree store & got a spray bottle for Starsan,Measuring cup set,measuring spoon set & set of funnels for 4 bucks + tax. They get used only for brewing stuff & are kept in my fermenter/storage stand.

I use straight up sodium percarbonate which is similar to PBW. The directions say use one ounce for a gallon of water. I had heard from some homebrewers that 1/2 per gallon works just as well. I have been using that for the past year or so with very good success. I have also used PBW with the same dilution and it worked just fine.

The caveat is that I use volume when I measure it instead of weight. I have an old nyquil cup that I use so I actually may be throwing in the recommended amount afterall and before I was just over doing it...

What i figured as well, hence why I've not go e knocking on the door. Maybe I'll call them

If I were you, I'd grab a six pack of my best homebrew and knock on the administrative office's door. Be nice , state your business trying to buy direct, hopefully leave with a free bucket of PBW and jug of Starsan!

If I were you, I'd grab a six pack of my best homebrew and knock on the administrative office's door. Be nice , state your business trying to buy direct, hopefully leave with a free bucket of PBW and jug of Starsan!

now that's a plan

Back