Not sweet enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSD

Reaction score
I have a mead that's been going for two months. Just tasted it and it needs to be sweeter.whats the correct procedure for sweetening?

Lemonade mead. I used 12 lbs honey, 4 gallons water,concentrated lemonade juice and Lalvin d47 yeast. Done it before and was excellent. But last time used 15 lbs. thought I had more honey when I started this batch.

Give it another 4+ months and try it again. IMO/IME at two months from start, it's far too young to make any alterations due to what you taste.

golddiggie is right, give it a few more months. But when you're ready to sweeten it you should first stabilize it with potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate, this will render the yeast defunct. Then add small amounts of honey and taste test it until you've found the ideal sweetness.

You could put a measured amount into a glass (say 1 cup) and then add 1/8 tsp honey at a time to find your preferred sweetness. Then just multiply the amount of honey used by the number of cups of mead you want to sweeten.

Back