Tweaking a KAB 4 burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Just took delivery on a new KAB 4 burner, looking forward to using it for the first time later this month.

Have heard issues with ripping through propane, going out in strong winds, etc. (bought it anyway)

Heard about some users moving the burner up to get it closer to the pot. The distance between the burner and the pot is significant.

Has anyone tried extending the wind screen with a strip of sheet steel? Not sure if it will reduce the propane use by improving the heat transfer to the pot. Any thyoughts would be appreciated. FWIKT there's not much freeboard to move the burner up without extending the windscreen cutout anyway.

That's a good question. I've got one but I've only used it a couple of times - I thought of making a windscreen from some flashing material. Imo, everything else equal, an insulating material would be better, but I'm not sure what would work. I also wonder if too effective a windscreen might choke the fire - I'm guessing that the up-draft would provide sufficient air from under the screen. Let us know what you wind up trying - I'll do the same if I beat you to it.

I have the kab4 from Agri supply, just got the Bayou 30psi regulator hose assembly from amazon also. Have had the burner for some time but last weekends boil using the old turkey fryer version, getting 40-50 degree water up to boiling temp took forever.

I have two fryers. One is worthless so I'm using that frame to mount this one on. Shooting for 4" between burner and kettle bottom. Hopefully this does the trick.

I'm going to forego the windscreen initially however. Since I brew in the garage with the side door cracked there isn't a wind issue. Had some 16 gauge steel in my hand to make one but put it back.

I'll also let you know how the 4" works. Hopefully this shaves some time off of the heating of the MLT and the wort.

The KAB4 I have comes with a 4" gap between the top of the windscreen and the bottom of the pot. The threads I've read have moved the burner/wind screen assembly up to 2 inches. The space from the top of the windscreen to the top of the burner is minimal Last night I bought some 26 GA sheet steel and cut 2 pieces 4: x 18". Set them to curving last night. Tonight I'll mount it and post some pictures if you're interested. Hoping this will improve the performance in light winds.

Back