Lowes Mini CO2 tank and Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drez77

Reaction score
Just a heads up. It looks like Lowes will be having their mini co2 tank and regulator on sale after thanksgiving for $49. You can see a preview of the circular at lowes.com and it is on page 5. I have been watching these for my portable kegerator. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Mike

Lowe's Weekly Ads

I posted this in BierMuncher's garbage kegerator thread a few days ago since this is what he used. If I remember correctly, BM said that it comes with a 9 oz tank, so hopefully the $23 for the tank is for an extra tank.

Edit: scratch that, searched lowes.com and it says "Cylinder sold separately (item numbers 106221 and 184295)"

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=166441-61735-J-6901-100

The model numbers match up: 166441

I went to Lowes shortly after the BM post and never found the reg and tank kit. I figured it was a regional deal. The reg and hose was about $80, but my Lowes wanted $35 for the filled 20 oz. tank! So it wasn't any savings over the William's setup(which has dropped in price over the last 6 months). Now It appears that for about the same price you can get better gauges from Williams vs Lowes. Note: I haven"t checked on Williams in the last couple months since all I can afford now is grain. Damn economy!

I have a Ton of old 9 and 12oz paintball tanks. These are kosher to use for cornies? With the big stamp that says "Not for human consumption?" If so, my hoarding of junk just paid off...

I bought 4 at a MC Sports Store Closing for $5 each BNIB. Some of the ones on ebay are new too. Good luck!

The reg is $49, the tank is another $23. I think you can get the paint ball reg with real gauges from Williams for about the same price. If I remember right they only want $20 for the tank. That is a nice sale for Lowes though.

I just did a check at willaimsbrewing.com and the regulator there is $85.90, so the $49 sale at lowes seems to be a pretty good deal to me. The cheapest regulator I could find at willaimsbrewing.com was for $56.90, and then you'd need to add on the paintball adapter for $14.90, which puts you at $71.80, so the lowes deal comes out better again.

You're probably thinking of the paintball kit that williamsbrewing.com sells for $34.90 which includes the paintball gauges and adapter, but not the body of the regulator.

Just wanted to remind anyone that might be interested in this that its on sale online now and in stores tomorrow.

My only concern is food-grade C02.

I have no problem with the idea of putting deadly toxins into my beer, just as long it does not affect the flavour or head retention.

I'm gonna have to work on my missus for one......Way too soon after getting my ass chewed for all the other stuff i bought recently. :(

"food grade co2" aka a ploy to charge more.

we sell "industrial" and "medical" oxygen too. it all comes from the same bulk tank, we just charge more for the medical(and we analyze each one) but there is really no difference

we sell "industrial" and "medical" oxygen too. it all comes from the same bulk tank, we just charge more for the medical(and we analyze each one) but there is really no difference

I don't agree.

I've gotten paintball cartridges that leave a distinct oily aroma and flavor into the beer.

We've been down this road before on the forum, and I know for a fact there is a difference.

thats interesting, i've never encountered that. all of the co2 we fill is the same. what i do know is that there should not be any oil inside the tank. oil added to air and co2 systems should be post regulator.

Insurance and liability is a difference. If a welder doesnt have pure oxygen you waste his time, in medical use it could cost someone their life.

Picked mine up 1st thing this morning...I also think it going to work out fab for my portable keg cooler. I'm so stoked I cant wait to get it all hooked up.

Bought one today, logged on to tell everyone but you already knew.

BUT, $18 of that 9oz tank is deposit.
You return it when you buy a new one and only pay $5 for the replacement. The "9oz" tank says it contains 7.2oz CO2. Isn't it a 7.2 oz tank then?? It's from Blue Rhino, who also rips you off with their "20#" propane with 15# in it at walmart "for safety reasons"

Hey paintball guys, is there an adaptor that lets you refill your mini tanks at home? I fill my 5# CO2 from my 20# so I assume it would be similar.

I don't agree.

I've gotten paintball cartridges that leave a distinct oily aroma and flavor into the beer.

We've been down this road before on the forum, and I know for a fact there is a difference.

I've pushed 5 full cornies with the Lowe's setup. One tank of which was refilled at Dicks Sporting goods.

No off flavors detected or reported by the "audience". And these were light flavored beers that would have let any off flavors come through.

I remember the oily taste issue with the mini CO2 cartridges people use for BB guns.

I for one don't ask for food grade CO2 at the welding shop.

Stopped by Wal-Mart and looked at their 9oz bottles, they're $20 EMPTY! So the Lowes tank isn't too bad for a first tank because it's full.

Probably going to build a filler, the ones on Ebay look home-grown anyway.

I picked one of these up on friday morning. They even let me use a $10 off $25 purchase which they sent the week before thanksgiving. And then my mother-in-law decided to buy it for me as a Christmas present. So now she has it wrapped up, but I wanted to get a gas hose ready for it. Does anyone know what size quick disconnect and/or part number I can pick up at Lowes?

And FYI, this is still on sale for $49 at lowes.com, just search for item #166441

I picked one of these up on friday morning. They even let me use a $10 off $25 purchase which they sent the week before thanksgiving. And then my mother-in-law decided to buy it for me as a Christmas present. So now she has it wrapped up, but I wanted to get a gas hose ready for it. Does anyone know what size quick disconnect and/or part number I can pick up at Lowes?

And FYI, this is still on sale for $49 at lowes.com, just search for item #166441

Look in the next aisle over, near the air compressor hose. There is a bin full of different size QD's.

So you missed the LOWE'S mini regulator? You're in luck!

Today I was at harbour freight tools and they had their vresion of it for $45 in the store. It was over by all the air fittings.

I found it online, but the price there is $60 HERE

Here's a pic:
99901.gif

For about $55 you can get a real CO2 regulator from Micromatic and the paintball tank connector from Williams Brewing and you can precisely dial in your pressure.

For about $55 you can get a real CO2 regulator from Micromatic and the paintball tank connector from Williams Brewing and you can precisely dial in your pressure.

I think shipping might kill that deal. It's $7 from micromatic making the cheapest regulator $37.95+$7=$44.95, and I couldn't find the shipping cost on williamsbrewing.com, but it's $14.90+shipping, so you're already at $59.85, so I can see how this is a better deal than the one at harbor freight, but if you were able to get the kobalt co2 adaptor for $39 ($49 - $10 off $25 purchase coupon) on black friday, I think it was a steal.

I have a 20oz paint ball tank and im going to order a kegging system today, how long will a 20oz tank last, any one know? or should i get the 5#tank that comes with system? trying to save a few bucks!

I think shipping might kill that deal. It's $7 from micromatic making the cheapest regulator $37.95+$7=$44.95, and I couldn't find the shipping cost on williamsbrewing.com, but it's $14.90+shipping, so you're already at $59.85, so I can see how this is a better deal than the one at harbor freight, but if you were able to get the kobalt co2 adaptor for $39 ($49 - $10 off $25 purchase coupon) on black friday, I think it was a steal.

True, but you get a real beer regulator that is scaled to beer pressures. Assembled properly, it won't leak gas and can be used to carb beer.

Be sure to check all your fittings on the HF unit otherwise you will be filling the bottle frequently.

+1 Ed. You do get what you pay for at HFT. Often it's good enough for my uses - the $10 angle grinder I use once a year for example.
I would never trust the supplied quick disconnect not to leak out all my gas, that's for sure.

SmokySalsa, I was about to say definately do the 5# tank, but I'm starting to waffle on that thought. Here's what made me say Hmmmm....

A 5# tank costs $15 to fill which is $.19/oz
A 20oz tank costs $3 to fill? so it's $.15/oz (or $.20/oz@$4/fill)

Good liquor stores will swap 5#tanks for $15 or you can hit AirGas or a welding shop.
If your liquor store doesn't have CO2, then the availability of CO2 to you has very limited hours and days of operation.
Paintball tanks can be filled at Dicks or Big5 or other sporing goods stores (if you have one nearby) and they have longer hours of operation (except liquor stores if they have CO2).

If you also have a 9oz or spare 20oz tank, you have a cheap backup.
But you may need that backup cuz you'll be filling 4x as often with a small tank.

The sad thing is that I can get 20# of CO2 for just $2 more than the 5# fill.

The future upgrade for a 20oz tank system would be to buy a 20# tank someday (when you find a cheap one on craigslist) and refill the 20oz yourself with a $20 paintball refill kit (plus a scale for safety, but you can use that for brewing too). There are dangers refilling yourself that you should explore before you do.

So, depending on gas availability in your area, the 20oz may be a good option, especially if funds are limited, but less convenient because of all the refilling. Eventually, the brewing bug will take over and you'll have both, like me.

So SmokySalsa, how's that for ten pounds of non-answer?

Salsa, your other question, how long?

From another thread about CO2 they say about 8-10 kegs for a 5# if you're carbing and serving, which is 10oz/keg or so.

So, 2 kegs is the answer.

hey Thank's guys,, im going to get the 5#er, and keep my pb tank for back up! so when the swmbo asked why, Ill say a couple of sources said to lean tourds the 5#er.:rockin:

Back