Orchard Trail lager yeast hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe

5 gallons store bought apple juice ( I use Sam's Club brand)
1/2 tsp Wyeast yeast nutrient
1 pack Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager
1/4 gallon apple juice for back-sweetening (or use concentrate if you prefer more sweetness)

Ferment in low 60's for three weeks and keg. I don't attempt to get every last drop when I rack so 1/4 gallon apple juice for back-sweetening is perfect for volume and taste for me. I actually prefer 1/8 but it goes over really well with the general public at 1/4. I have been successful with using a single smack pack and with reusing the previous yeast cake. If you enjoy dry cider this would be fine for bottling without the back sweetening.

This recipe is my go-to for hard cider. I got the idea from BTV's lager workarounds episode before I got lager ability. The goal is to use the Wyeast Bohemian Lager if at all possible, since it will ferment cleanly at ale temps. Cry Havoc has given me detectable diacetyl on the three times I've used it. Bohemian Lager, however, has turned out crisp and clean with a balanced sulfur note that seems to compliment the apple without off-flavors. The low end ale temps have not thrown off a lot of ester formation for me using Wyeast 2124. I strongly advise against using other lager strains unless you are going to experiment with actual lager temps.

Please give it a go and let me know how it turns out!

:mug:

Pic

image-741979316.jpg

That's a nice looking cider. Any idea what your OG was for this?
I'm wondering two things here:
1) I bottle condition, will that produce enough carbonation compared to kegging? I enjoy a well carbed cider.
2) I usually ferment the 2124 at 52 degrees. Isn't 60 and above considered "common steam" style? I wonder the effects of fermentation temps for this yeast on cider?

Cheers

Not sure on the OG. Im sure its comparable to other cider recipies where sugar isnt added. I always measure on beers but only have been going fg on cider. It may also change depending on juice brand, not sure on that. When i open a juice container next ill check it.

I wouldnt risk highly carbed cider unless you were bottling in PET bottles or kegging. Ive used PET bottles with extra priming sugar and it worked well. As you can see i carb the crap out of my ciders :mug:

If you have the ability to ferment at lager temps it may work even better. 2124 stays clean into the 60's so it was my choice. The california lager strain from what i read and saw on BTV threw a lot more esters than 2124 fermented warm. I havent used 2124 in the 50's so i dont have a comparison of flavors, but it doesnt come out with the yeast profile i get from anchor steam.

Back